DS22 getting new computer?

*Updated list*

ANTEC PLUSVIEW1000AMG 21IN CASE 4X5.25 6X3.5 NO P/S W/ WINDOW SIDE PANEL     

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ PROCESSOR S939 VENICE 2.0GHZ 512K L2 CACHE 90NM RETAIL BOX    

DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR MOTHERBOARD ATX S939 NFORCE4 SLI DDR 2PCI-E16 SATA RAID SOUND GBLAN 1394

OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED 2X512MB DDR PC3200 CAS2 W/ COPPER HEAT SPREADER

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 120GB HARD DRIVE ATA100 7200RPM 8MB OEM

SONY BLACK 1.44MB 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE

BENQ FP71G+ 17IN LCD MONITOR 8MS 1280X1024500:1 0.264MM ANALOG SILVER

MSI RX800XT-VTD256E RADEON X800 XT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I VIVO VIDEO CARD

MICROSOFT DIGITAL MEDIA KEYBOARD & OPTICAL MOUSE COMBO BLACK

ANTEC TRUEBLUE 480W ATX POWER SUPPLY P4READY W/ BLUE LED FAN

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP (home or prof?)

CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1 1394 24BIT OEM SOUND CARD

LG 16X BLACK DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM

SONY CRX230E 52X/32X/52X E-IDE INT CD-RW

LOGITECH X-530 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM BLACK 70W RMS 140W W/FDD2

Total:$2667 CDN roughly $2200 USD

1. For XP, home or professional? whats the diff?

2. I'm still inbetween the DFI LANPARTY UT NF4 SLI-DR mbo and the MSI K8N Neo4/SLI ATX AMD mobo, roughly same price....

3. Its alittle over my price but if i'm building theres cheaper prices i've found, but if i'm ordering off ncix.com thats the price including them building it.

4. Switched in different CD/DVD drives.

Edited by deadly_sniper22

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at the mo SLi is a very new technology, and doesnt apply to Ati cards,

A quick defintion of SLi: http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/S/SLI.html

Essentially you dont need it unless you want to run 2 high end Nvidia cards, either now or in the future.

Since your getting a kick a.rse ati card that will run insanly fast, and nice and cool, i dont think you need the SLI or an nvidia card.

And im fairly sure the only difference between the DFI SLI mobo and the one below (mine) is the sli-ness of it. So id get the Ultra D and buy yourself a carton of beer or something.

And if you rrreealllyy wanna save cash, drop that audidgy card, atleast for now. See how you go with the DFI onboard sound, and if you still dont like it (which you shouldnt do, unless you have the hearing of a bat) pick one up a bit later on.

Windows? home should be OK for what your after, but dont take my word on it. I look like i know more than i do :P

And also how much are you paying for those logitech speakers?

I read a lot of post from ppl who "initially" bought one gfx card for their SLI mobo, then later on adding another gfx, having serious conflicts with their gfx.

requirements for easier SLI trouble shooting:

1) keep the same brand/model when installing two gfx's

2) keep the same bios/drivers on the gfx

3) if possible, insist from the vendor/reseller that you buy gfx with their serial numbers in sequence, ie. "A" gfx no. 1234-5 and "B" gfx 1234-6.

At this time, I haven't read anything ATI in SLI mode. If you want ATI and best gfx money can buy, skip the mobo like Dan said and just get the Ultra or a mobo that is highly recommended by ATI.

Hope that make sense.

Same here on the soundcard. I don't have a 5.1 on my SLI rig, coz until last week, I didn't even had speakers...I was on headphone mode. :rolleyes:

Now I got a 2.1 from Creative for $20 after rebates...you notice this thrend on the rebates? :whistle:

I got XP Pro coz I have access to PRO. If I have access to XP Home, I'll get Home...path of least resistance. I forgot who gave me that advice.

My generic keyboards and mouse initially cost me under $10 bucks. Hey, as long as it types and points. My so-called upgrade to an optical Logitech mouse was from an opened/ as-is...again $5 off.

$5 bucks here, $2 there, rebates there = TONS OF SAVINGS.

:yes:

Thanks to both of ya for saving me abit. I dumped the SLI and saved me $50 to moving to the card you have Dan. OR Are games in a year or two gonna run best on a SLI mobo? Do you think i should keep the SLI mobo and maybe switch the vid card for a high end nvidia? than maybe later purchase a 2nd card nvidia?

(thanks for the tips actually on the vid cards Ledanek :thumbsup: i'll keep it in mind if i do go for SLI)

I just noticed something as well. THe vid card i have listed is the MSI RX800XT-VTD256E RADEON X800 XT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I VIVO VIDEO CARD. There is also the ATI RADEON X800 XT PLATINUM AGP8X 256MB DDR3 VGA DVI-I TV OUT VIDEO CARD, both are radeon x800xt,except one has a R in it, and the ati one is 'platinum' and actually cost about $10 less. I would think to go with the ATI one b/c its a better known name (to me atleast) than MSI?

So the two above options are still in question, SLI or not? and if not which vid card....input please :wacko:

Ok Ok sound card dropped, only saved me $80 though.

Logitech speakers are are $78 canadian.

lol rebates will deffinatly help. What does XP have that Home doesn't have? i'm still undecided but leaning torwards Pro cause i hear it will be upgradable to 64-bit, while Home won't be. (lol i'm actually learning stuff ;) )

DS22

Well im not sure what the future will hold re: SLI, the fact that its not compatible with ATI leads me to believe that only games that are made with nvidia will get full use out of it. Its really up to you, but i would (and did) go with PCI-E ati goodness. Very nice cards that arent hot or power hungry (mine was running with no fan quite well for a while :P)

I think there is some talk about those ati cards in this thread:

http://www.ghostrecon.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26450

:thumbsup: thanks for the link dan , was worth a good chuckle too :rofl:

Price: $2533, $33 over what i was looking at. I love how everything looks except the CPU, i feel that when theres 4000+already and i'm at a 3200+ i'm already behind :blink: Maybe if i can get up an extra $250 to go for the 3800+ Venice? We'll see what can of prices i can stir up.

Its late though, time to hit the hay

DS22

that 3200+ will keep you smiling mate. If your game you could OC it, and itll crunch numbers like its the end of the world, especially with that DFi board, they are made for OCing

first off i have next to now money right now so it will be atleast 6 months before i buy this anyways

In six month prices will have dropped and newer parts will be out that will be better at or around the same price.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, dont count on wanting this same stuff in at least half a year.

Crimson is right so "yes" prices will have dropped. Even Nvidia 7800 has dropped usd 40 in price already. That's the way it goes.

XP: Believe the main difference is that in the Pro version you can protect single files. Anyway, Windows Longhorn is peeping around the corner.

And "no" I'm not in computers. Started to build my own rigs a couple of years ago and when you burn your fingers - or worse: hardware - you start to ask yourself: "How the heck can I avoid that?"

It brought a natural interest to find out what's going on. Sometimes I recognize a problem and suggest a solution.

There are people around here and other forums who have 100 times more knowledge of PCs than me. Fortunately ;) And I've learnt a lot from them.

GH

That's a heck of a PC. Which body part or your selling?

:rofl: Rocky lets put it this way, i'm a 16 year old PC gamer with two jobs and other than a guitar, has nothing to spend it on :rocky: Ya it'll take me a while to save it up, but it'll be worth it.

Ok i'll stick with the 3200+ for now. I'm sure prices will drop by the time i get it, like you guys said so maybe the few hundred dollars i can shave off here and there with the price drops i can upgrade that a bit if i wish.

Windows Longhorn? I'm guessing its a new O/S? I guess we'll see how far that has come along in 6 or so months and see if it'll be out for the new rig? I'm gonna do alittle more research today on all the parts

Ds22

:rofl: Rocky lets put it this way, i'm a 16 year old PC gamer with two jobs and other than a guitar, has nothing to spend it on :rocky: Ya it'll take me a while to save it up, but it'll be worth it.

Ds22

At 35 y/o I traded my left kidney (its full of kidney stones anyways) for a 19" Viewsonic E90fb. So if my hypothesis is correct, a 16 y/0 kidney, in healthy conditions, should be equal to a.....hmm..a UltraSharp 2405FPW 24" LCD...just make sure you get a legal guardian consent :whistle:

Ds22

At 35 y/o I traded my left kidney (its full of kidney stones anyways) for a 19" Viewsonic E90fb.

IF I had known the pain caused by kidney stones, I'd have given my kidney away for free, complete with stones.

LOL. You guys are crazy.

DS22: since you still got your "kid-knees" - suppose we have to find you a fancy case within the next 6 months.

Longhorn: nope, not before 2006, prolly a beta version sometime this year. Then 1, 2, 3 or more service packs, so you buy yourself XP ;)

LOL. You guys are crazy.

DS22: since you still got your "kid-knees" - suppose we have to find you a fancy case within the next 6 months.

Longhorn: nope, not before 2006, prolly a beta version sometime this year. Then 1, 2, 3 or more service packs, so you buy yourself  XP  ;)

Ya for the next 6 months i'll be keeping track of prices and see what else comes up in my price range. I love the case i have picked out, not overly flashy but once i pop in that LED PSU and a few extra LED fans it'll look pretty sweet. It has a removable air filter as well which will be good since i have a dog that sheds like theres no tommorow. In a perfect world it would have an exhaust fan, but oh well. I have more questions (some i can't think of right now) that i'll post over the coming months instead of creating thousands of more threads :nono:

I went to pick up a pcgamer or a pc mag in general today but they didn't have much so i'm going to Chapters later this week to get one :thumbsup:

DS22

EDIT: my mom is waiting till oct/nov to talk to my dad about it cause right now hes working 12 hours a day. But everyone will benifit from it so i've got it all planned. First question though...is there any comprehensive pc building guides? i've read the ones here and there detailed, but for a noob like me it raises a few questions still...any help here? 2nd...whats thermal paste and whats it needed for?

Exhaust fan: Find a fan on your case, remove the screws, turn the fan around, mount the screws, there you go.

PC building: most sensitive part is installing the heatsink on your cpu. most sensitive because it's the most expensive and it can be tricky. Most heatsinks producers have online instruction videos though. Just be careful.

Thermal paste: look at it as kind of buffer between the cpu and the heatsink, avoiding a direct contact and giving a better heat spread. Don't use too much of it as your pc won't power up then.

If you're in doubt, ask for help or ask the shop to assemble the rig for you.

as a rule i have intakes at the front and side and outtakes at the back

wow, taht sounds good, never thought of that. Sounds like a plan to me than :thumbsup:

doing research, i hear the Nvidia Ultra 6800 matches pretty evenly with the x800xt except that the 6800 has SM3.0 support. A quick google and i find out SM3.0 is a shader model. If they are both good, should i go with the 6800, and spend the extra few on the SLI mobo as well?

EDIT: the 7800 also came out recently did it not? How does it stack up?

Putting together a PC is like playing with expensive Legos. One you get your pieces laid out, it's really easy to see what goes where.

Grey is right though. You need to be careful when it comes to CPU and HSF installation. I just installed a Thermalright XP-90 a few minutes ago... a bit harder than a Zalman 7000.

ya if i'm going to build it myself i'd probalby see if i could get one of my older cousins who does computers for a living, both very busy, and ones in a totally different province, but i'd see what i could do :yes:

After visiting a few forums as well, i've choosen to go with the SLI DFI mobo, and 1 BFG 7800+ gtx oc video card. Since in the future i will have 2 video cards i've also opted for the Antec Truepower 550W PSU.(lol Dan ya the mobo's all yellow, how much do UV's cost?) :thumbsup:

To stay in budget with this, i downgraded the ram to CORSAIR VALUE SELECT PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400 184 PIN Dual Channel. I heard it would be fine unless i plan on Overclocking.

DS22