Ghost Recon.net Forums
deadly_sniper22

DS22 getting new computer?

hey hey :P

Those who play with me probably know i have a crappy rig and that i had to upgrade my video card just to play Joint Ops, i don't even have Windows XP (yes i'm afraid to say it, but i have Windows ME). My parents live in the stone age so there not for spending money on upgrades and whatnot. This christmas however i believe our computer will be either 5 or 6 years old :huh: Being an avid (sp?) gamer, this doesn't help :P so as i want to go into computers as a career, but i know very little about them i started doing some research, figuring if i knew enough about them i could either talk my parents into getting a new one with the parts i want, or even better, let me build one myself. I'd read guides all over the net about building them and sure there looks like some difficult parts, but i'm sure with the genusis we have here, i could figure it out. So for my price range, here is what i've come up with, and this is already alittle past how much i was lookin to spend.

1 x TURBO X-SUPERALIEN 21IN BLUE ALUMINUM 5X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT 500W

1 x INTEL PENTIUM 4 650 3.4GHZ LGA775 800FSB PRESCOTT 2MB CACHE 90NM EM64T HT PROCESSOR RETAIL BOX

1 x DFI NF4-DAGF ATX NFORCE4 S939 DDR PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA RAID GBLAN SOUND 1394 MOTHERBOARD

1 x OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED 2X512MB DDR PC3200 CAS2 W/ COPPER HEAT SPREADER

1 x SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.8 200GB SATA W/NCQ 8MB CACHE 7200RPM HARD DRIVE

1 x SONY BLACK 1.44MB 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE

1 x BENQ FP71G+ 17IN LCD MONITOR 8MS 1280X1024500:1 0.264MM ANALOG SILVER-BLACK

1 x ATI RADEON X800 PRO AGP8X 256MB DDR3 VGA DVI-I TV OUT VIDEO CARD RETAIL BOX

1 x MICROSOFT DIGITAL MEDIA KEYBOARD & OPTICAL MOUSE COMBO BLACK OEM

1 x TURBO GAMER AS500 ATX 500W P4 READY POWER SUPPLY BLUE W/ WINDOW & LED FANS

1 x MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OEM (WITH SYSTEM ONLY)

1 x CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1 1394 PCI RETAIL BOX

1 x ASUS 16X DVD-ROM INT E-IDE RETAIL W/ SW DVD PLAYER

1 x SONY CRX230E 52X/32X/52X E-IDE INT CD-RW W/ SW OEM

1 x LOGITECH X-530 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM BLACK 70W RMS 140W W/FDD2

I heard the intel prescotte processors run hotter than most so thats why i chose the case that i did, but feel free to recomend any, especially if there cheaper cause that one is quite abit. Am i forgetting anything? will it be upgradable? I figure by the time i get this there will be a whole new line of parts but i had fun putting this all together so bear with me :rofl:

DS22

EDIT: Price is $2706 CDN on NCIX.com, roughly $2218 USD. Would like to get it to $2500 CDN if possible :whistle:

Edited by deadly_sniper22

Make sure if you are building it yourself you get thermal paste for the CPU and a good fan. That was one thing I forgot and had to order when I was building my system.

It looks pretty good. I have an older DFI motherboard and it's been great. Have you considered going with an AMD processor? They are probably cheaper than Intel. Good luck. :)

Biggest problem you have there is, the motherboard is for AMD processors (939 socket is for the newest AMD chips), and would not support the Intel CPU you have selected. ;)

It looks pretty good.  I have an older DFI motherboard and it's been great.  Have you considered going with an AMD processor?  They are probably cheaper than Intel.  Good luck. :)

Ya i didn't really look at AMD for a reason or two, both pretty stupid but i'm pretty much a computer newb :rofl: I've always had Intel's for one, not that i'm against switching though, and two all the Intel's say "3.4 ghz" or "3.2 ghz" so i knew that, for AMD's there was either no ghz listed and u just got a bunch of numbers, or it was listed but i coudn't find any above 2.2 i think it was :huh: i'm sure i said something stupid above so please someone correct me. :blink:

Biggest problem you have there is, the motherboard is for AMD processors (939 socket is for the newest AMD chips), and would not support the Intel CPU you have selected.  ;)

:rofl: My friend actually was telling me to make sure they were compatible, i'll have to go look for a new one. Any recomendations NYR?

Thanks again, i'm totally new to this but really enjoying learnin all of it :stupid:

DS22

Don't believe only the Ghz numbers. My AMD64 3200+ performs better at 2.2Ghz than my Intel Pentium 4- 3Ghz...

www.newegg.com

it has good prices. Or if you don't want to buy from them you can at least sort them out and compare them. :)

Don't believe only the Ghz numbers.  My AMD64 3200+ performs better at 2.2Ghz than my Intel Pentium 4- 3Ghz...

www.newegg.com

it has good prices.  Or if you don't want to buy from them you can at least sort them out and compare them.  :)

:wall: this just makes everything harder to understand. :huh:

i've been using www.ncix.com instead of newegg.com just because ncix has prices listed in CDN, which makes it so much easier b/c i do believe newegg.com is an american site. Thanks for the suggestion though Firefly :thumbsup:

DS22

EDIT: Would u guys suggest finding a compatible motherboard? or switch the CPU? keeping in mind i want a nice fast gaming computer. :yes:

One thing to do, start reading magazines like MaximumPC or CPU (Computer Power User) and read them religously, where your parents can see you, to learn more. That could go a long way to get your parents to buy "parts" to build one instead of buy one.

One thing, if you plan on getting a new video card, I recommend a high-end card over a mid-range card for longevity. I would also recommend the AMD64 route with a socket 939 configuration.

Edited by WhiteKnight77

One thing to do, start reading magazines like MaximumPM or CPU (Computer Power User) and read them religously, where your parents can see you, to learn more. That could go a long way to get your parents to buy "parts" to build one instead of buy one.

One thing, if you plan on getting a new video card, I recommend a high-end card over a mid-range card for longevity. I would also recommend the AMD64 route with a socket 939 configuration.

:rofl: great tip WK i'm pulling in good cash now with 2 summer jobs, not alot, but enough that i can afford to pick up magazines. (its not that their expensive, but i'm more of the online person :P )

and huge thanks too WK for ur guide to building your own pc, helped alot, :thumbsup:

I thought my video card i had choosen was high end? But ya i can deffinatly see your thoughts and that and will look into it. hmmm another person brings up the AMD, i think this may call for a poll ;):whistle: Thanks again for your thoughts,

DS22

EDIT: Forgot i coudn't make polls, if someone doesn't mind making one, Intel vs. AMD for gaming, or if its already been done or doesn't want to be done, thats fine too :thumbsup::rofl:

i have that same motherboard and it kicks a.rse. OC'd a little bit (still on stock cooling) my AMD 3000+ is running at 2.2GHz. right now the winner is the 3200+ Venice, thats thing will keep you smiling for a long time. :thumbsup:

i'd swap the CPU for a AMD 64, the 3200+ venice is best out there right now, also moving to AMD will save a fair amount of cash

also i'd swap the vid card for an X800 XL

i can vouch for the XL too, and i wish i had a venice. Venice has an improved memory controller too, so you can fill all your ram slots, and also get more performance out of your RAM, that you could with the likes of my old 3000+

same here, mine's a winchester and i wish i'd waited the extra couple months and got a venice

Dan your saying the mobo i have listed above is good? the ATX NFORCE4? sorry i just have so many names and number swirling threw my head :P

and for video card i'll switch from the ATI RADEON X800 PRO to the ati radeon X800 X 256 MBL.

And after vising the site for MaximumPC(thx WK, i'm picking up a mag today) i found most people recommended AMD for gamers anyways so i'm more than willing to make the switch. Is the AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ PROCESSOR S939 VENICE 2.0GHZ 512K L2 CACHE the one you guys are recomending? Has great reviews everywhere, stays very cool i hear. :thumbsup:

So heres the updated list:

1 x TURBO X-SUPERALIEN 21IN BLUE ALUMINUM 5X5.25 2X3.5 5X3.5INT 500W

1 x AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ PROCESSOR S939 VENICE 2.0GHZ 512K L2 CACHE 90NM

1 x DFI NF4-DAGF ATX NFORCE4 S939 DDR PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA RAID GBLAN SOUND 1394 MOTHERBOARD

1 x OCZ DUAL CHANNEL OPTIMIZED 2X512MB DDR PC3200 CAS2 W/ COPPER HEAT SPREADER

1 x SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.8 200GB SATA W/NCQ 8MB CACHE 7200RPM HARD DRIVE

1 x SONY BLACK 1.44MB 3.5IN FLOPPY DRIVE

1 x BENQ FP71G+ 17IN LCD MONITOR 8MS 1280X1024500:1 0.264MM ANALOG SILVER-BLACK

1 x ATI RADEON X800 XL PCI-E 256MB 256BIT GDDR3 DVI TV-OUT VIDEO CARD RETAIL BOX W. DUNGEON SIEGE BUNDLE

1 x MICROSOFT DIGITAL MEDIA KEYBOARD & OPTICAL MOUSE COMBO BLACK OEM

1 x TURBO GAMER AS500 ATX 500W P4 READY POWER SUPPLY BLUE W/ WINDOW & LED FANS

1 x MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION OEM (WITH SYSTEM ONLY)

1 x CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1 1394 PCI RETAIL BOX

1 x ASUS 16X DVD-ROM INT E-IDE RETAIL W/ SW DVD PLAYER

1 x SONY CRX230E 52X/32X/52X E-IDE INT CD-RW W/ SW OEM

1 x LOGITECH X-530 5.1 SPEAKER SYSTEM BLACK 70W RMS 140W W/FDD2

Everything still compatible? Good for gaming?

Oh ya one last question, the cpue only has 512k of cache, is that going to slow it down at all? I only vaguely know what cache is btw :whistle:

DS22

Cache is a form of memory. Everything looks good, but one thing I would also recommend is a quality PSU like an Antec or Enermax (or if you can afford one, a PC Power & Cooling) in at least in the 430W range. A 480W or 500W one would be better and allow for future expansion. It looks like you have 2 PSUs listed as is (one included with the case).

Cache is a form of memory. Everything looks good, but one thing I would also recommend is a quality PSU like an Antec or Enermax (or if you can afford one, a PC Power & Cooling) in at least in the 430W range. A 480W or 500W one would be better and allow for future expansion. It looks like you have 2 PSUs listed as is (one included with the case).

So is the psu in my case not good enough? even though its 500w? If its not good enough for w/e reason, would i buy another one and have to take out the one that comes with the case and place in my own? Or just find another case w/o a psu included? :wacko:

DS22

If the PSU is not of good quality it could lead to system instability and has a better chance of going BOOOOOM. *ahem* I would try and find a case that comes with a good PSU, or buy a case without one. You might want to check out Antec's line of cases, they have a nice lineup.

Here's what I came up with at NCIX.com... (I've never configured a PC with CDN prices, good lord!)

CPU: A64 3000+ Venice

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

RAM: OCZ Dual Channel PC3200 2-3-2-5 2x 512MB

Video: Connect3d ATi X800XL

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 200Gb SATA

Monitor: 19" Hyundai Imagequest L90D+ LCD

Opticals: 16x8x16 DVD-RW and a DVD-ROM

Sound: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia's 2.1

PSU: SeaSonic S12 500W

Case: Antec P180

Total: $2,410.83

This will be a great gaming machine. Especially if you overclock that CPU to around 2.7ghz, which a lot of em can. I can personally vouch for the speakers and RAM, both top quality. All the other prodects have stellar reviews.

In the end, it's your money. Do your research then buy your pieces.

As NYR stated, instability is a big problem with cheaper PSUs. If you noticed, I recommended a smaller PSU. A smaller, quality PSU will provide the power you need when it gets hot compared to a larger, cheaper/generic PSU. Heat is the big problem here and as a PSU gets hotter, the power output decreases and that is where the instability comes from that NYR was refering to.

As NYR said, you can buy cases without PSUs and put the one you want in or you can buy a case from the same company as the PSU (PC Power & Cooling doesn't sell cases though) and use that. I like my Antec case even if it is a bit large, it has plenty of expansion room and holds everything I have hardware wise right now and still has room.

Here's what I came up with at NCIX.com... (I've never configured a PC with CDN prices, good lord!)

CPU: A64 3000+ Venice

Mobo: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum

RAM: OCZ Dual Channel PC3200 2-3-2-5 2x 512MB

Video: Connect3d ATi X800XL

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 200Gb SATA

Monitor: 19" Hyundai Imagequest L90D+ LCD

Opticals: 16x8x16 DVD-RW and a DVD-ROM

Sound: Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia's 2.1

PSU: SeaSonic S12 500W

Case: Antec P180

Total: $2,410.83

This will be a great gaming machine.  Especially if you overclock that CPU to around 2.7ghz, which a lot of em can.  I can personally vouch for the speakers and RAM, both top quality.  All the other prodects have stellar reviews.

In the end, it's your money.  Do your research then buy your pieces.

Thanks for the list crimson :thumbsup: but i think i'm gonna go witht he 3200+ Venice seeing as its only $50 more. Right now i'm looking for a better case and PSU so at the moment i'm checking out Antec and i'll let you know what i find.

YES! 3200+ WINNAR!!!

SeaSonic's are great PSUs and some of the quietest, behind Nexus of course. I would go with a 3000+ myself, as it all but assured you will overclock to and past 3500+ levels, saving money.

<_<

i've looked at cases and PSU's and i can't seem to find just the right one. I know i'm being picky here and i probably don't need it, but i'd love to have a temp. display on it, and alot of them have fan controllers, i don't i'll need that.

I also like how some cases you can slide out the mobo, and i hear it makes for easier installation, this would help a newb like me immensly i believe?! I also like how some cases have the cover over the CD trays and floppy so if you get a red case or soemthing you don't see the beige cd drives. This is just want i'd 'like' in my case, its not a 'need' obviously. Size doesn't matter i can fit a bigger one on my desk area,

DS22

o ya it doesn't matter if a psu is included or not but if its not, show what one you recomend :thumbsup:

Plus i just talked to my mom and i told her we need a new computer, so she told me to save my money to buy a new one, and i said or i could just build one and she laughed but she said she'd think about it :thumbsup: lol i hate being a kid :whistle:

DS22

Here's mine. It's also available in silver, black and yellow. All aluminum, with a beautiful paint job. It also has the removable mobo tray. I've never used one before, but I'll never go back unless the case is a full tower.

What about this? Couldn't find it on NCIX though. There's also a version without the window if you're not into the case rice.

Have you looked at eBay?

Edited by Crimson

nice looking case their crim, its alittle on the expensive side for no ps included.

As for the other one :devil: damn thats fine! the PS is only 420w though so i'd probably upgrade that like WK said for future upgrades.

DS22

I would suggest against getting a Maddog power supply. I've heard that they aren't doing very well right at the moment...