Ghost Recon.net Forums
McNamee

ATI RADEON X880XL

I assume you're talking about the Radeon X800XL (not X880XL).

Yes, it's a great card ... likely the best for its price point. The main benefit is that it has 16 pipelines like the faster X800XT/X850XT cards but is clocked lower. This is a major advantage over the older X800 Pro cards that had 12 pipelines.

In the end, it depends what games you play, and whether you prefer nVidia vs. ATI.

Hey Mc, PC Pro magazine has a round up of the current crop of graphics cards, I am sure that card came out on top by a long chalk.

I can scan it in for you if you want.

i'm running one now, it's a great card and like cr6 said the 16 pipelines really make a difference compared to the 12 on the x800 pro

i have an asus AX800XT, and all i can say is un-flipin-real

cheers......

i have an asus AX800XT, and all i can say is un-flipin-real

cheers......

I'm currently running the exact same ASUS card at home and have been waiting to run into someone here with one.

Although the X800XT runs a bit slower than the newer X850XT, I am really happy I got it instead of the X850XT, as it only takes up one slot, is relatively quiet, and has reasonable power consumption.

Dekela - just curious if your card was detected as a X800XT Platinum Edition by WinXP although it doesn't say so on the box? For some reason mine was ...

Also, my default clock speeds are:

VGA Memory Clock 560.3 MHz

VGA Core Clock 519.8 MHz

While "officially" the Radeon X800XT PE's clock speeds should be:

Memory Clock Speed (MHz) 575

Engine Clock Speed (MHz) 520

and the "vanilla" X800XT should be

Memory Clock Speed (MHz) 500

Engine Clock Speed (MHz) 500

my clock speeds are the same as yours CR6. being asus instead of radeon may be the diff. but its not enough to worry about anyway

as for detected by XP, no it wasnt. had to install the drivers of the disc. now it is though, lol

cheers......

Edited by dekela

my clock speeds are the same as yours CR6.

Thanks for the reply! The reason I'm asking is that as you know, the X800XT and X800XT PE are the same chip, but ATI sells the Platinum Edition at a premium (about $100 more) because they are confirmed to run stable at a higher clock. However, some companies take the lower speed binned chip and sell it slightly overclocked ... which may lead to some graphical artifacts. I'm not too worried with ASUS as they have good quality control and I haven't had any issues so far.

Dekela, if you look in your Windows Device Manager or Display Properties, does it state your card is a X800XT or X800XT PE?

The reason I'm asking is I initially thought mine showed up as a PE because I had the latest Catalyst Drivers supporting the X800 series before I pulled out my 9800 Pro, so I thought it was a driver thing that detected clock speeds.

However, after further thought, I now believe that when a video card is detected by Windows Device Manager, the name is usually taken from the video card's BIOS which is flashed by the company that makes the board.

So I'm curious if ASUS is labelling all their AX800XT cards they are selling around the globe as X800XTs or X800XT PE's?

shows up as what was on the box, ASUS AX800 XT Platinum Edition.

cheers......

My XL is chugging along nicly. Its nice and easy to OC with ati tool too. Plus it runs bloodu cold! Right now its onboard fan is busted, and its being cooled by a case fan. There has been no difference in temp. Brilliant!

shows up as what was on the box, ASUS AX800 XT Platinum Edition.

cheers......

Thanks for the info mate! :thumbsup:

My box (a huge one with a manga style girl with purple hair) didn't indicate that my AX800XT was a PE, so it was a pleasant suprise when I plugged the card in ^_^

yeah i had a huge box too, but pretty sure it had the PE on it. could be wrong though, and cant check, the wife threw it out :(

and dan, good to see the squishy ball, fan and chewing gum holding together

cheers......

yeah BF2 pushed the squishy ball to breaking point. I took it all apart, and replaced it with a stack of CD cases :P

squishy ball?  CD cases?  :huh:

long story, but short answer is dan broke it. as usual

cheers......

yeah i broke the fan on my card, so its cooled by a case fan standing on a stack of CD cases.