Ghost Recon.net Forums
Cpl Ledanek

SBC DSL: is it worth it?

RT41P2-AT??? I thought I was suppose to get the LINKSYS BEFSR41? Am I reading it wrong? RT41P2-AT "IS" a modem? Sorry for my ignorance. I went to BestBuy and the SBC DSL modem kit starts at $89.

Just let me know if this RT41P2-AT is suppose to go with BEFSR41 so I can place this on order also

Thanks again

The BEFSR41 is just a router. You plug that into the DSL modem.

You said that SBC will send you a free DSL kit with a modem right? Do you have to pay a monthly charge for it to use it or is it completely free? What hardware did you say had a montly charge?

Wk is right. The BEFSR41 is the router.

I wouldn't buy a modem unless your ISP doesn't provide one, or if they are going to charge you an absorbitent fee for it.

I interpreted from your pot above that you wanted to buy a modem. That is where my suggestion came from.

If they provide it, and it is a one time charge, use the modem the give you.

If it is a horrendous monthly charge, and you want to buy your own(which is what I thought from your earlier post), then get the one I suggested, or if you can't find that one, see if you cna get a Motorola product.

I apologize for the confusion bro.

Sorry 'bout that. :wall::icon_redface:

The reason why I would get the ISP's modem is there is a setting in the firmware that is preprogramed prior to them sending it out that the phone company uses to make sure that you are allowed to recieve a DSL signal. I found out about this when the phone company changed a setting and my DSL was down for a week before the Earthlink tech guy and I figured it out.

details here, I'm no lawyer, but the phrase: "FREE Customer Self-Install kit included with modem next to installation fee, indicates the modem is not on lease, therefore free.

Did I get that part right? Damn lawyers :o=

modems at BestBuy for SBC Yahoo

more details

there is another modem but, sona is about $130+

thanks again in advance. Hope you guys are off tomorrow too. :thumbsup:

Get the ISP supplied DSL installation kit then, don't buy a modem. You should get everything needed including the filters. Connect the router to what ever cable comes with the DSL kit. Remember what I said about the modem being preprogramed for your ISP.

Actually, you can use any modem that you want.

The setting you speak of isn't in the modem, but in the configuration file that the telco sets up for you.

The modem that comes from the ISP just happens to have a pre=programmed basic configuration file in it when they give it to you. Once it's plugged in, it then downloads the final config file from the ISP that tells what speeds you should have, routing info, DSLAM info, yada yada yada.

If you bought a modem, you would have to tell it where to go for the config file and such.

But the modem itself isn't pre-programmed, otherwise you wouldn't be able to sell it on ebay when you get disgusted with the service.

Remember: the modem is just a piece of hardware. The settings are DL'd from the telco.

The reason the telco's tell people things like they told WK is because that is what support is familiar with, and they don't want to have to support any product but their own. So they tell people stuf like that, knowing most people don't really care, and on top of that, they don't really know, so they do what the telco tells them.

There are very few, and I mean very few ISP's that will only run dedicated hardware. Largely that is a big myth, and one the ISP's don't dispell to make things easy on themselves, and the 6 dollar an hour people they have reading prompts off a screen when you call with a problem.

But I would go ahead and use the ISP's provided modem. In most cases, as long as the the modem isn't a Westell, they are very good, and the same thing you would buy at a store yourself. In fact, 90% of the time, it is the same, the telco just happened to get a good deal on a bulk purchase.

But don't ever let anyone tell you you can't use whatever equipment you want. It just isn't true. IN MOST CASES. :thumbsup::sheep:

Edited by =UE=Phantom

SBC DSL modem blows!!! The installation software has got to be easiest thing, I've encountered in my PC life, BUT I hate it when the modem can't be found!

Twice now the tech support has asked me to press the reset button (bottom of modem) and went thru the reinstall process.

AAAARRRRRGGGG!!!!

PC's ethercard/LAN on both my Asus A7N8XDelux and Asus A8N Delux work fine. I just don't understand why I'm the installation software doesn't recognize/find the modem. Tech support sure can't

Protocols??? the first install was cakewalk. It did everything, and was surfing in 10-15 minutes. If you know something that I should be doing manually I'd sure appreciate it.

Hmmmmmm, if you have already been surfing, you should still be able to. Did you get the router we told you to? if so, have you set the router to use the PPPoE settings? Take a look at this.

rsu.jpg

Also, leave your modem on so when you start your computer, the router, upon seeing your computer start up, dials your connection (seems it works that way to me).

I didnt get to the router WK. After 3hrs in the morning and 4hrs more this afternoon, 4 stabbing of the reset button on the modem, 3 junior tech sup, 2 "senior" techs, it has come to their conclusion that the modem is bad.

:blink:

:o=:o=:o= That's what I've been saying during the first 3 hrs!!!

I didnt get to cut grass, I didn't tend my flowers, I didn't get my lottery tickets, I didn't get my dishwasher soap, I didn't get to check out any movies on my day off, I didn't get to do squaaaaat today!

I'm glad I didnt cancel my dial up. LESSON NO 2. Don't cancel your previous ISP until new one ACTUALLY WORKS.

To top it off, the dept that handles the replacing of modem is already close, so now I gotta wake up early to order a replacement.

Don't even get me started with the out-sourcing of tech sup. :nono:

to be continued.....

What Modem is it?

And don't start on out-sourced supprt. It isn't the out-sourcing, it's the no-pay for the job that ######s the customers, because the techs dont give a flying ###### for 6 bucks an hour.

Now, I made 16 an hour as a NOC tech, and dealt with SBC on a regular basis.

A bunch of stupid, true red-necks work for that company. Believe me when I tell you that the out-sourced support isn't your problem: it's SBC's Internet dept.

Believe me when I tell you that the out-sourced support in this case is better than the telco, but unfortunately they have to work with what the telco provides.

They wouldn't know a DSLAM if it was right in front of them with a 20 foot X 5 foot sign that said 'D S L A M Right Here ! !'

Now when I was working the NOC, SBC was using ###### modems. That's why I ask what modem they gave you.

Edited by =UE=Phantom

speedstream 5100 from Efficient Networks, I don't know if I got that backwards. Its the very same one you see in Circuit City/BestBuy. My Auto CD Wallet with 15 CDs is heavier than the modem.

Hmm, that didnt make sense....

The first call to outsource, I had to "pretend" to drop the line coz we just couldn't communicate. Later when I called around 11AM, Chicago time, that was a relief coz the lady on the other line, sounded from someone I fancied from North Carolina. She was was polite, and sounded very knowlegable and didn't belittled me by mocking me on my basic PC skills. The outsource fella gave me directions to the "START" button.

After I told him that I'm installing this modem to a new PC that "I just built this week and the HD and OS are freshly installed." That should have gave him a clue that "I know where the freaking START button is.

Anyhoo, got thru eventually and the Eastcoast fella I talked to ( I overheard them about getting a "pop" instead of soda gave me a clue) is sending me a replacement in about a week. Maybe then I will "sneak" the router you told me to get.

Remember that pic with all my hubs in the basement, where the crossover cable is located? Do we mess around with that or just hook up the modem and router next to the closest PC? Most likely we would connect it to my current pc (my rig specs under my Sig), coz the Asus A8N dx has ONLY one really good ethernet, with good ping returns (though it comes with two)...thats a BIOS problem accdg to ppl who have been posting in http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38623/?o=3220 thats being resolved.

thanks as always

When you get the modem, if you get the router, you won't need to worry about drivers, and you will want to get rid of the crossover cables.

When you installed the modem, did you do it directly to the PC, or through one of the hubs in your basement?

The ONLY time you would EVER use a crossover cable, s if you have two PC's to connect DIRECTLY together, and you are using one of them for Internet Connection Sharing. That is the ONLY time, or if you have a 2 PC computer network.

Otherwise, you will use straight through cables.

Edited by =UE=Phantom

CLOSE THIS THREAD, I AM DONE!!!

:rofl:

Got that Linksys Wired cable/dsl router, first, couldn't get the connection manually, then my imaginary monkey placed the CD-ROM set up disk and he read the instructions on the screen, then VIOLA!!!! It works!

Thanks again for your support.

:thumbsup:

now if could just get my remaining problem out of the way. Now wheres that monkey off to?

Edited by Cpl Ledanek

Ya know, you can lock it yourself. GR.net supporters can do that. Down at the bottom is a window on the left that says Moderator Options, Select the Close Topic option and then press go. You have locked your thread.