Help me find a good Mountain BIKE

Stalker_Zero

But then I got a load of the specialized hardrock and I think I'm in love.  :wub:

They have a version there with v brakes so the price of it is only $329.00.  I love the beefy frame although its a tad heavier than the trek's.

That's the exact same bike that DarkRanger has IIRC. He seems to like it just fine.

Thank you for continuing to handholding me guys. :(

Ok I went BACK to the store for a final fitting and to do some test rides with some bikes. I was struggling with the decision for the final bike choice. It was between a 17" specialized hardrock or an 18" trek 4300. Which would you choose?

Also, the guy there said that there is no noticiable difference between a RST gila t5 front shocks vs a RST gila t5 plus shocks.

The hardrock I tested had the plus shocks (which had a nice smooth ride) vs the trek 18" that didnt have the plus (the trek's ride wasnt that smooth). The store guy said that there isn't much of a real world difference for street use besides the "plus" rst t5 having more travel. And that most likely the shocks on the trek 4300 needed the load to be adjusted.

Do you think he was telling the truth?

Can you help me with these questions? :|

Edit: And I did decide to change out the tires for something more dual purpose (I read Avey post after I came from store)'. That way I could get some more speed on the pavement. Its cause I'm taking a risk and going for the 17" medium sized specialized hardrock. Picking up the bike tommorow. :)

They gonna change it out for some Raleigh dual purpose tires.

How do those compare to the default mountain bike tires they give you?

Argh! Thanks for helping me dudes! :wacko:

Edited by Stalker_Zero

Gee, I'm a bit late. Guess that's what happens when ya don't check the forums daily.

*sigh*

Stalker,

As Havok mentioned, I own the HardRock displayed in your post.

Initially, I was set on a dual-suspension bike. However, after much research, I decided on a hardtail.

Best decision I made.

Price/Quality was the determining factor. I didn't have $1,800 USD to purchase my dream bike, with front and rear suspension. Additionally, trusting life and limb on bike that perhaps traded frame manufacturing quality and other crucial componets for the dual suspension aspect, didn't appeal to me.

Hardtail it was. I checked out Trek, Fisher, Giant, Kestrel, Cannondale, GT, and Schwinn. Came to rest on the Specialized array of fine bicycles. They built what I was looking for, in the price range I could afford.

So I ride the Hardrock. It's got a stout, yet (fairly) light frame. Components are hardy enough to take some fair abuse, and still crank out the fun.

One thing that really surprised me, the front suspension makes a heck of a difference - more than I expected. Coupled with the well-built frame, this bike is very efficient.

If I ever upgrade, I'm getting another Specialized hardtail. I've fallen in love, and it's great.

Tires are fine. I've ridden in both single-track, technical trails, and paved asphalt. A little noisy on the road, due to width. Tire pressures range from 35-80psi though, for the "default" rubber.

Cool. Heres the thing though. The model hardrock I will be getting will not have the t5 "plus" shocks but regular gila t5. Now with a load adjustment will it ride similar to the plus model for regular street use?

Cause I found the test ride with the trek 4300 to be a little bit stiffer. I'm guessing the floor models didn't have proper adjustments. Is that What i am noticing or is it something else.

Man, I know you're focused on shocks, but you sound to me like you intend to use this bike for the streets (I could be wrong). I wouldn't want any shocks if I were going to be using it as a road bike. I'd have 'em dialed in so tight they'd might as well not be there (that springiness on asphalt ain't worth the extra weight and energy tradeoff). I really hope you intend to do alot of trail-riding or hot-dogging.

I'd go with the one that's got the better shifters/derailleurs. Seriously, if one has Alivio and one has Deore LX, all other factors being equal I'd take the Deore LX anyday...actually for the road, I'd see if I couldn't tradeoff the shocks altogether and get an XT shifter and/or deralleur (though that's probably dreaming).

I'm sure you're gonna love whatever you get, but I hope you end up with what's really right for your application.

Good luck, and have fun.

The regular Gila T5 fork is preload adjustable.

At this price range, the fork you're getting will be coil spring type. I noticed little difference between the Plus T5, and regular T5, on the pavement. There again, the bike shop may not have tweaked 'em perfectly.

The regular T5s are supple, but with 100mm travel, I haven't bottomed out yet. I rode a great technical trail this past weekend, with some very steep drops, turning into steep ascents. Throw in some tight turns at speed, big root outcroppings on downhills, and other torturous stuff. My fork never bottomed out.

For road use, it soaks up most of the imperfections. It will also improve handling over a bike with no suspension.

Stalker, I'm sure you looked at the next model up, the Sport Disc. The main upgrades on that (for roughly $100 more) are your Plus T5 fork, mechanical disc brakes instead of "V-Pull", and slightly better cassette and hubs.

I had really considered the Sport Disc, for those extra upgrades. Thing is, the regular Sport model just below it already has the disc brake eyelets as part of the frame.

Basically, this bike is entirely upgradable. Slap on a better fork if you're gonna abuse it on the trail, and with time, you can swap out components for Deore or better and install a mechanical disc system, if you want. You still have a great frame.

The upgrade option appealed to me, so I went with the regular Sport.

Meh, that was a bit more ranting than you probably wanted.

Do this: If you can get your hands on the Sport Disc, try out the Plus T5, then ride the regular T5s.

LOL a car. :D

Or heck a cool custom chopper. ;)

I'm going to go with the regular sport version too.

OMG wait! Does the sport model come in a charcoal black color or is that the ex model only. If so thats the one I getting. And if so does the ex version support upgrading to the disc brake model?

Edited by Stalker_Zero

I hope so man. :(

I'm getting the black version of the hardrock sport. Its the 17" and I'm having the seat and the handlebar reach adjusted to fit me. Also, its the v-brakes and I'm gonna confirm that I will be able to upgrade to disc brakes for the future. Also, having the standard tires swapped out for dual purpose Raleigh tires for street use and occasional off-road use.

I hope my choices was the right ones. :wacko:

Well....I just picked her up today the specialized hardrock I mean and shes a beaut.

Its the black one and unfortunately the rims aren't upgradeable to the disc brakes. The OEM v-brakes suck lol but the bike rides pretty good.

Well, I think I still need to brake it in the shocks is kinda stiff still. Is it true after some riding the new shocks will loosen up some and give you a smoother ride??

:blink::P

Edited by Stalker_Zero

LOL! How did you know? :P

Ya shoulda seen me when I was riding home from the bike shop. I was a little rusty and a few school kids on the sidewalk was forced to dive out of the way as I was flying through them...."OMG GET OUT OF THE WAYYYY!!"

Then I got my balance and I started riding like a pro..............well...semi-pro. :thumbsup:

All in all I am happy with my choice however I am dissapointed to learn the rims of the wheels aren't upgradeable to disc brakes.....the standard v-brakes squeals like a pig. :wacko:

Plus I think I have to go through a break-in period for the front shocks to loosen up a bit.

Gonna have em adjust the handlebars tommorow as well.

Edited by Stalker_Zero

Stalker,

Remember the fundamental purpose of suspension - improving handling by allowing the tire to remain in contact with the ground, even over rough terrain, and reducing vibrations to the rider, enabling a more pleasant riding experience.

If your shocks are too soft, you risk bottoming out in deep potholes, tree stumps, and other similar objects.

Your "V" brakes should not squeak. That denotes improper assembly or adjustment. If you are unsure how to adjust them yourself, refer to the owner's manual for instructions.

You can adjust the angle of the brake shoe "attack" and closeness to the rim. Proper alignment will remove the "squeaking" you hear.

For overall adjustment of tension, there is a barrel adjuster available, just as the cable leaves the brake handle assembly. Turn this clockwise or counter-clockwise to increase or reduce cable slack at the brake arms.

Also, you may require additional tension on the brake arms themselves, to "pull" the arms away from the rim after you release the brake lever. If the tension is not sufficent, the arm will not return to its "inactive" state, and cause the shoe to rub on the rim.

The stock "V" brakes are powerful. Definately a step up from the Caliper or Cantilever style systems. It sounds like they just need minor adjustment.

In regards to swapping out components to a mechanical disc, yes, you will have to aquire new rims. The hub assembly is different for a disc-based braking system, than for traditional methods. Also, if you're considering disc, chances are you're planning to really tax your bike, and yourself with difficult trail riding. You'll want stiffer rims to take the punishment. Admittedly, a disc system does enhance one's ability to achive normal braking power under rain or snow. But IMO, it doesn't justify the cost.

Cool then. The ride home let me really test it. I'm gonna go back tommorow to have them make some adjustments. I will have em adjust the brakes and possibly the shocks just a tad softer if you don't mind. ;)

But I hear what your saying about having it too soft otherwise it wouldn't be any good.

I think I can understand that.

I do have to go back though especially to have them add an extra spacer to raise the handlebar stem a bit. Back hurting a little so I don't want to be too stretched out.

But I'm still happy overall and I plan on having alot of fun on this cool ride. :thumbsup:

05HardrockProDisc_d.jpg

Edited by Stalker_Zero

for bikes and bits I found eBay.co.uk to be the best thing since, well, eBay. I also sold one of my old windsurfing boards to make some room in my garage for a car, I now have 3 more boards, a car (Triumph Spitfire 1500, not bad for 17 ;)), a boat (well, its my brothers), more sails for said boards and boat, a fridge and who knows what else. All off eBay. Maybe it's time to block it on my browser...but yeah, you can get all sorts of stuff there, even a TV remote shaped like a lightsabre...