Service Pack2

Chems

We purcased a top of the range laptop recently which came with SP2, and it caused many problems, so I uninstalled windows and put on my version of XP with out the service pack. Everything went fine :thumbsup:

But consitently my Windows Update wants me to install SP2, but I really dont want to. What you all think, Ive heard all these stories about what it does, but what are the pros cons of it?

I'm one of those who believes SP2 creates more problems than what it solves.

The main problem is caused by the excessive usage of memory and resources. I prefered to install all the security updates by myself.

PS: on my lovely laptop also SP1 is not present :P

Most of the people whom have had problems with SP2 are those whom have already had problems with SP1 and their computer in general. I run SP2 on my computer without nary a problem and less resource usage than SP1. I just built a new computer for my wife for christmas and installed XP w/SP2 and it also runs just fine.

SP2 isn't worth the upgrade. The performance gains aren't worth the possibility of putting up with the cons, such as driver issues, firewall issues, gaming issues, etc.

Now granted, let me make this clear: NOT EVERYONE HAS HAD THESE ISSUES.

But they have been reported by many people, including myself. I installed it, and once I did, I reformatted and dumped it, going back to SP1a.

There are a couple threads in here talking about some of the issues.

Feel free to try it. You may be one of the lucky ones with no issues.

But realistically, the gains aren't worth the possible hassles. THey didn't really do alot to improve performance. It is mostly fixed security issues, that most people never had a problem with or even knew about in the first place.

My advice: Skip it. You know SP1a works. Stick with it, and turn off the Auto-Update feature. then you won't get that annoying message. Just because you turn it off, doesn't mean you can't update, doesn't mean you can't do it manually, which is better anyway, because you can pick which updates you want. :thumbsup:

SP2 isn't worth the upgrade.  The performance gains aren't worth the possibility of putting up with the cons, such as driver issues, firewall issues, gaming issues, etc.

Now granted, let me make this clear:  NOT EVERYONE HAS HAD THESE ISSUES.

But they have been reported by many people, including myself.  I installed it, and once I did, I reformatted and dumped it, going back to SP1a.

There are a couple threads in here talking about some of the issues.

Feel free to try it.  You may be one of the lucky ones with no issues.

But realistically, the gains aren't worth the possible hassles.  THey didn't really do alot to improve performance.  It is mostly fixed security issues, that most people never had a problem with or even knew about in the first place.

My advice:  Skip it. You know SP1a works.  Stick with it, and turn off the Auto-Update feature.  then you won't get that annoying message.  Just because you turn it off, doesn't mean you can't update, doesn't mean you can't do it manually, which is better anyway, because you can pick which updates you want. :thumbsup:

The only problem i have with SP2 and the main reason why i am not installing it is because Discreet is warning Max users of crashes and other problems with using SP2 and 3ds max.

Definatly not installing it then, thanks for all the info.

Heck...do like me Chems and boycot XP on a whole! Been running win2k since a mate of mine brought over a copy of Win2k Beta3 and installed it on my old rig, way back in 1999. Got the full version now though. Hardly any hickups and the computer runs like a charm!

Heck...do like me Chems and boycot XP on a whole! Been running win2k since a mate of mine brought over a copy of Win2k Beta3 and installed it on my old rig, way back in 1999. Got the full version now though. Hardly any hickups and the computer runs like a charm!

i never had any major problems since i upgraded my OS from Win98SE to XP, but to be sure i am sticking to SP1a.

dunno what u guys r worried about....

i never had a problem with firewalls, games , or 3dsm crashing  all 3 versions that i own

even my enighbors pc works fine with sp2, fixed her stupid printer wich didnt work with sp1

Just because you don't have issues with it, doesn't mean others don't. There are alot of others that have had big trouble with it.

Remember: You are only one user with a unique PC.

Edited by PhantmSniper

Well dudes,

I'm still building my new pc. I am taking my time too cause I have run into a few slight problems. I'm taking it one day at a time. Last night I loaded windows and the updates including service pack 1 and 2.

Just waiting on the video card in the mail. Also waitin on a thermalright heatsink/fan for the athlon 64 4000+ cpu. ;)

No major run ins with driver issues and whatnot. I'll let u know if my new expensive rig goes into self destruct mode cause of sp2. :huh:

Edited by Stalker_Zero