Mission Editing...

:blink: Ok..I've been reading tutorials till I'm cross-eyed. So far, I know how to place the players and the enemies..that's it...well..waypoints looks easy enough too.

At the risk of getting ahead of myself, I wanted to throw a few questions out there because I can't figure them out and usually a human can explain it better than a tutorial...

Here goes:

1. How do you select the skins for the players/enemies? I'm talking addons here. I see all the default stuff. I wanted to use some of the cool addons that we were using though...

2. How do you add in all the cool addon weapons? My players start with the default weapons for their class it seems.

3. Vehicle inserts...para drops. Ok how is this done?

4. My tutorial says to make a briefing file in the form of an HTML file then add it to the mission folder..BUT...all the missions I have are just full PBO files. At what point does a mission folder get converted to a PBO and how is that accomplished?

Sorry for just throwing out the questions...but this stuff is pretty hard at first and I'm sick of looking for the answers...we need a mission editing sub forum!

:blink:  Ok..I've been reading tutorials till I'm cross-eyed.  So far, I know how to place the players and the enemies..that's it...well..waypoints looks easy enough too.

At the risk of getting ahead of myself, I wanted to throw a few questions out there because I can't figure them out and usually a human can explain it better than a tutorial...

Here goes:

1. How do you select the skins for the players/enemies?  I'm talking addons here.  I see all the default stuff.  I wanted to use some of the cool addons that we were using though...

When you select the Side i.e. West, the in Men you have different ones HYK Desert 91 and the like, on the right hand side under Rank there is a Drop down for the type of soldier i.e. AT, Sniper, Medic etcc.

2. How do you add in all the cool addon weapons?  My players start with the default weapons for their class it seems.

You add them into a file called Description.ext in the folder, this is just a text file you have to create, and then put the weapons in e.g.

class Weapons

{

class M21

{

count=1;

};

class M60

{

count=1;

};

class LAWLauncher

{

count=1;

};

};

class Magazines

{

class M21

{

count=10;

};

class M60

{

count=4;

};

class LAWLauncher

{

count=4;

};

};

3. Vehicle inserts...para drops.  Ok how is this done?

Ranger or Sart can help you out here, but IIRC it's a script you execute.

4. My tutorial says to make a briefing file in the form of an HTML file then add it to the mission folder..BUT...all the missions I have are just full PBO files.  At what point does a mission folder get converted to a PBO and how is that accomplished?

In the mission editor when you save itt as either a Single Player Mission, or a Multiplayer Mission. To see how they are made up, Deconstruct a PBO file. You'll find one at AtWar

Sorry for just throwing out the questions...but this stuff is pretty hard at first and I'm sick of looking for the answers...we need a mission editing sub forum!

Once it's back up go to Ofpec, it has all you need, and more :)

:) Ok..making a bit of progress here. I found the skins I needed (players) and just by getting the right class I pretty much got the weapons I wanted (however I did want a medic, but he doesn't have the cool ACOG scope---I'm using LSR Desert Rangers and that medic comes with an unscoped weapon.). I also found a tutorial on para inserts..so I'm struggling with it now.

What can I open a PBO file with? I need to see all the different folders that I need to make before exporting this as a PBO file...

I really also don't understand "scripts" yet. How do they fall into the editing process. What section are they used in...triggers? Or is it just another text file that I create?

Ok..I'm going to go tape my skull back together and get the para insert done... :blink:

This is a link to a zip containing both a description and a briefing file

http://www.nicold.com/upload/index.php?act...2JyaWVmLnppcA==

If you need to log in, both username and password are upload

You just put both of them in your mission folder under flashpoint/users/your username/missions/your mission

(You must save your mission as a USER MISSION to get this folder under your username. When you save the completed mission as a single player mission, it is converted to PBO in the Flashpoint/missions folder. When you save it as an MP mission, it is coverted to PBO in the MPMissions folder.)

You obviously need to open the html file with a text editor and write your briefing.

Scripts - Scripts are .sqs files and just sit in the mission folder with the briefing, description file, etc. In a mission, you can call them really anywhere, using a trigger or a waypoint, or at initialization, using the INIT.sqs script.

If you want the script to be activated by the West side using a trigger, for example, you just place the trigger, set it to go off when West is present, then in the 'On Activation' field, you type [] exec "yourscript.sqs", and whatever your script does will happen.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

:o= Arrrrg!! more things to melt my brain with..

Ok..I grabbed the zips..but the description file is an ext file. What do I open that with?

Can anyone point me to a resource that shows what the missions should look like (all the folders) BEFORE exporting it into a PBO file OR tell me how to take the PBO file apart?

You just open the .ext with a text editor. Same with the scripts.

This is what the Alpha Black mission looks like in your user folder. You can see your mission like this if you save it as a User Mission in the editor, it will go under Flashpoint/Users/en4rcment/missions

missionfolder.jpg

:D Ok...I'm actually getting this!!! Well a little bit.

So that's what the completed Alpha Black file looks like before it is turned into a PBO file?

:) Ok back to work.

EDIT

Hey more things:

-I don't want to screw this up. My player team is all marked playable except for the team leader who is marked player. Is this how it is set up so that it will work for both MP and SP or should the leader be marked playable as well?

-I saw it before..and now can't find it. Where is the respawn chart. I want seagulls..no respawning into a new soldier.

Edited by en4rcment

Yes. All the files that make up the mission just sit in your mission folder in your user directory. When you save them as single or multiplayer missions in the editor, they are exported as PBOs to the single player and multiplayer missions folders.

That picture is what your mission looks like with the basic stuff - the mission file, briefing, and the description file for weapons and respawn.

The description file I gave you enables team respawn and contains weapons and ammo for the following

M4 acog

M4/203

M14 SOPMOD

AT4

RPG-7

Hand grenades

Satchels

HPDA and SOCOM pistols

And more. basically everything you need. If you want to remove stuff from that, just find the references in the file and delete them. If you want to add stuff, say from the LSR mod, find the readme file and look at the weapon references, then replace them in the ext file.

The LSR weapons, for example, are called things like "LSR_m4", "LSR_SMAWLauncher" etc.

You need to have a 'Player' slot so it will work in SP, the 'Player' works just like a 'playable' slot in MP.

In the description file, the respawn is near the top.

respawn = "Group"

respawndelay = 5

Change Group to None.

respawn = "None"

respawndelay = 5

The weapons listed in the description file are the ones the leader can dish out via the 'Gear' tab at the Briefing Screen.

If you don't want to spend tme at the briefing screen giving out weapons, you can just add the ones you want to ammo crates at the beginning.

If you have an ammo crate, double click it to see its attributes, then in the Initialization field, you type the following

this addweaponcargo ["LSR_m4", 1]

And that will add an M4 to the crate. Then

this addmagazinecargo ["LSR_m4mag", 10]

And you will add ten mags. It's just a case of knowing the weapon and ammo names, then pasting and pasting and pasting.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

:) Yeah..I might wait on the "cinematic" intro... I'm more worried about just making a mission that works from start to finish.

Ok. Now that OFPEC.com is down, is there any place I can get a list of triggers and such? I want to know what can be done before I plan on how I want it done...

:whistle:

:nono: That would give away the surprise...

Are there proximity triggers? A member of a unit is however close to a certain spot then perform said action...

Are there triggers for when a member of a unit sits in a vehicle?

Also, how do you make the messages appear from centcom..OR from another player??

Proximity triggers - you can just use the 'West/East/Resistance Present' option in the trigger menu for that. Alternatively, you could have this in the 'Condition' field of the trigger

player distance zone1 <10

Where player is any of the human players (or another unit name) and zone1 is whatever you want to set off the trigger, be it a tank, a marker, etc. <10 is obviously just less than ten metres.

Then if you want a script to execute you just put something like this into the activation field;

[] exec "Script.sqs"

Messages - To have a chat message, you simply type

unitname sidechat "your message here"

where unitname is the name of the unit in question.

To have a message from Base, you can use Papa_Bear, which is the default game base. For that you just type

papabear sidechat "your message"

after you've enabled papabear in the init file (or the initialization field of a character). Can't remember which command does that, it's either 'enableradio true', or you may have to enable the West HQ messages by putting papabear = [West, "HQ"] in the INIT file.

There is also the default West airbase, which is called Firefly base, and works in the same way with 'Firefly' instead of 'papabear'. There is a way to change the name of PAPA_BEAR to suit your needs, but walk before you can run, and all that.

Speaking of which, do you know how to make the objectives work?

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Speaking of which, do you know how to make the objectives work?

:blink: Holy Crap that was alot of info to digest. No, I have no idea how to make an objective work and mark it complete.

:o I just discovered you can place objects anywhere you want on the map!! Do you know how long us GR modders wished for a feature like that??? OMG I should have bought this game awhile ago!!

EDIT

:lol: WOW! What an awesome mission editor (and game!) this is. I got my briefing all done (complete with clickable hyperlinks) and have built a camp and I'm now working on another area ( :whistle: ). I also got my insert all done. I have a third area to set up and then it's time to make sure the objectives work and see if I can get game to end at extraction. Then it's enemy placement time!

:thumbsup: I'm having a blast!

Quick question. I'm using a desert map and the area I picked for the operation is mostly very plain. How many objects can I add before the gameplay starts getting a bit laggy?

Edited by en4rcment

:unsure: Good morning??

A few hours of sleep and I'm back to the mission editor...

What is wrong with me?

Ok..my three current needs:

1. Do you guys have an updated description file that you use on the current GOA missions? The description file I got from Ranger has alot of BAS weapons on it and we don't use that addon anymore...so rather than delete and add all day, I was wondering if someone had a more current version.

2. Put an ammo crate down and used the addmagazine command to add 10 hand grenades. I throw all of my grenades, walk up to the ammo crates and take more, but my inventory never replenishes. I don't seem to have any nades to throw...any ideas? It's a JAM ammo crate...do I need a regular west one to hold nades?

3. I can't get my trigger to complete the first objective. It's just a west present trigger and I used this: "1" ObjStatus "DONE"; obj1c = 1 in the activation line. What am I supposed to put in to make the obj (objective #1) complete? EDIT Removed variable obj1c = 1 and it worked like a charm... :rolleyes:

Edited by en4rcment

Sorry, I must have given you the wrong ext file. Here, just copy and paste this into the file.

// weapons selection

class Weapons

{

class binocular

{

count =  6;

};

class NVGoggles

{

count = 6;

};

class JAM_RPG7Launcher

{

count =  3;

};

class LSR_m4_m203_acog_sd

{

count =  2;

};

class LSR_m4_m203_acog

{

count =  2;

};

class LSR_sr25

{

count =  3;

};

class LSR_sr25_sd

{

count =  3;

};

class LSR_m14_leu

{

count =  3;

};

class LSR_m14_sopmod_sd_leu

{

count =  2;

};

class LSR_m249spw_acog

{

count =  2;

};

class LSR_hpda

{

count =  7;

};

class LSR_m40

{

count =  7;

};

};

// and the ammo

class Magazines

{

class JAM_RPG7APRocket

{

count =  10;

};

class HandGrenade

{

count =  10;

};

class Pipebomb

{

count =  6;

};

class JAM_RPG7ALLRocket

{

count =  10;

};

class LSR_m14mag

{

count =  60;

};

class LSR_m40mag

{

count =  20;

};

class LSR_m203vest

{

count =  6;

};

class LSR_sr25_sdmag

{

count =  70;

};

class LSR_hpdamag

{

count =  70;

};

class LSR_m14sdmag

{

count =  20;

};

class LSR_m4sdmag

{

count =  60;

};

class LSR_m249mag

{

count =  6;

};

class LSR_m4mag

{

count =  70;

};

};

2. Put an ammo crate down and used the addmagazine command to add 10 hand grenades. I throw all of my grenades, walk up to the ammo crates and take more, but my inventory never replenishes. I don't seem to have any nades to throw...any ideas? It's a JAM ammo crate...do I need a regular west one to hold nades?

If you are typing this addmagazinecargo ["HandGrenade",10] then that should add the grenades. Doesn't matter what type of crate it is.

I just tried it - Jam ammo crate, command removeallweapons this; this addmagazinecargo ["HandGrenade",10] and it works for me. What character are you using? Maybe you just don't have any room.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

Some nice tools I use are Pbox, for packing your mission into a pbo file and unpacking pbo files so you can take a look at them and Comref which gives you references to all the commands with examples and makes it nice and easy to write briefings and the description files, makes adding respawns a doddle. Theyre over here

Comref http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=6172

Pbox http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=7278

:D Thanks for the updated description file!

I don't know if I used the remove all command on the crates..maybe that's why the ammo worked but the frags did not...but it did say I was taking nades and I did have three empty slots since I just threw em...

BTW- What was the machine gun used in GOA mission 6 (I think)? The machine gun that fired orange tracers...

----

Crowman- Great Links!! I was wondering how to look at already made missions, since that's how I learn to mod the best...and I sure need some command help...

:)

----

Command reference link down... :(

Edited by en4rcment

:D Using the remove all wepons command did the trick..I was able to restock with nades...

Ok, I'm looking for a machine gun with a scope and either a dot or crosshairs sight. The LSR default one here has a scope with a weird optic (sorta like an SVD) and your rounds fall between some numbers...

EDIT: Found the online version of the comref HERE

Edited by en4rcment