Ghost Recon.net Forums
Dick Splash

Hey! America...'this' Is Bacon!

Bacon in the microwave is the best because it comes out crisp and there is no fat on it. Anybody have one of those bacon cooker deals for the microwave? It looks like a plastic cooker that has ridges on it to hold the bacon up. Anyway, it makes perfect bacon. :)

pudding.jpg

And this just looks sick.  The outer part looks like raw cookie dough, but it has meat in it.  W.T.F. is the outside of that thing?   :huh:

That 'stuff' is called suet [pronounced suu-itt] and is basically IIRC a beef fat based dough and it is doughy. They come closely fitting thick aluminIum foil trays and they are cooked by steaming them. Another suet based 'delight' in the NW is suet pudding. That's a spong made out of the stuff with syrup poured over it and served with custard.

BTW....as I said it's pronounced 'suu-itt' and 'not' 'suuuu-weeeeeee' as they say in 'that' America. :shifty:

DS

That looks like the stuff my Wife feeds the cat. I'm open to trying new things but that's pushing it.

That 'stuff' is called suet [pronounced suu-itt] and is basically IIRC a beef fat based dough and it is doughy.
And you eat this? :blink: And in America, suet is just rendered beef fat, not dough made from fat :x , and only birds eat it.

BTW....as I said it's pronounced 'suu-itt'
Duh.

If you were planning on making Christmas pudding using fresh suet then I would say you are out of luck as it takes over 1 MONTH to make it! :o

of course, if you fry it, then all the fat is gone.  mmm I luv crispy bacon, then you can cook your eggs in the bacon grease.  ;)

I have been eating my fried eggs this way for 30+ years. I make bacon, egg and cheese sandwiches for brunch every Saturday.

I've just found this in the New York Times and I couldn't resist 'digging' this thread up; :D

The Perfect Bacon Sandwich Decoded: Crisp and Crunchy

By ALAN COWELL

Published: April 11, 2007

LONDON, April 10 - Should it be slithery or scrunchy, glutinous or grilled? The answer, British scientists say, may be divined by a formula: N = C + {fb(cm) · fb(tc)} + fb(Ts) + fc · ta.

Researchers at Leeds University found that crisp bacon on white bread makes the perfect bacon sandwich.

That is the scientific answer to the question: what makes the perfect bacon sandwich?

And, no, it is not April 1.

Researchers at Leeds University spent more than 1,000 hours testing 700 variants on the traditional bacon sandwich, which many Britons refer to as a bacon butty (eschewing the term sandwich, said to have been coined to honor the fourth Earl of Sandwich’s habit of eating meat between slices of bread around 1762).

For Britons, butties come in a variety of guises — chip butties (French fries between slices of bread), crisp butties (ditto with potato chips) or even sugar butties, which are self-explanatory. None are viewed as especially healthful.

There are some finer points in the language, if not the cuisine. A sandwich containing sausages, for instance, is likely to be referred as a sausage sarnie, while sausages served with mashed potatoes are called bangers and mash.

There is no easy explanation for this.

Full article here.

DS

All this talk about the holly food, Bacon butty, like Rocky said, we're (mostly) on a eat healthy campaign and the bacon needs to be extra lean or as the supermarkets are starting to sell them as, BACON MEDALLIONS.

00bacon.jpg

The story continues in the kitchen... :thumbsup:

All this talk about the holly food, Bacon butty, like Rocky said, we're (mostly) on a eat healthy campaign and the bacon needs to be extra lean or as the supermarkets are starting to sell them as, BACON MEDALLIONS.

00bacon.jpg

Jeez, you guy's are throwing the best bits away, bacon rind is one of the great pleasures in life. I bet you trim the fat off steaks and don't eat the crackling on a roast either :blink:

And don't even get me started on roast chicken or turkey skin :popcorn:

00bacon.jpg

Jeez, you guy's are throwing the best bits away, bacon rind is one of the great pleasures in life. I bet you trim the fat off steaks and don't eat the crackling on a roast either :blink:

And don't even get me started on roast chicken or turkey skin :popcorn:

I still think that stuff you Limey's call bacon looks horrible. But bacon should not be lean. However, American style bacon is the only way that I'll eat fat. But I don't cut the fat off of meat or pull the skin off of chicken until after it's cooked, because lean meat sucks.

Lmao - DS, I think you must have the same links on Google that I have set up at work! I read that article the other day too...

I have to say, Brit bacon does taste better than the American stuff though.

And did no-one ever get what HP sauce stood for? The clue is right there on the bottle!! You know, the picture of the Houses of Parliament...? Although now it stands for "Holland Produced", obviously...