Ghost Recon.net Forums
pz3

SP2 and Nvidia

I dont know what nvidia does when they make drivers but it is crazy this bug i came across not to long ago.

I updated my driver like any normal gamer does when a newer Driver is released.

But this is where it gets crazy...

I have a Nvidia PNY 6800GT, so I update driver from 66.07 to 66.93.

It works fine and is an awsome driver made my 3dmark05 score jump almost 900points, much better FPS in game and less hangups.

Everything is great

Untill, Im playing Americas Army and having balst with no hangups or anything.... Get done playing after about 2 hours and press the exit button...............

Poof! My system crashes ! Exploring the problem i try to recreat it and it does it again... thinking oh thats odd I uninstall AA and reinstall still does it.... im like ######

Joint Ops wasnt doing it and neitherwas farcry.

So I try RavenShield.... It does it too :rofl: Then SplinterCell and it does it too/ :rofl:

Ends up The newer Nvidia Drivers with XP Service Pack 2 have a problem with any Unreal2 Engine based game.

Looking around on the internet for a quick fix I find small quick fix ....

I had to edit my boot.ini file and edit the line

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=AlwaysOff

It was /NoExecute=DFLT or somthing but i changed it to always off... .works fine now....

Coudlnt nvidia just make driver that works with Unreal2?!!! :rofl:

Edited by Prozac360

Nvidia's driver does work with Unreal2 Engine....it is when it's combined with SP2.

I'm more inclined to think it is an SP2 bug versus an Nvidia bug, being as how the quick fix is altering the boot process of the OS.

Its is on nvidia side.

This problem doesnt happen with older drivers. Only recently introduced.

It's going to be on nVidia's site because they'll get tired of emailing people back saying go to Microsoft.com for help. Anyhow, I've yet to have a problem with nVidia's new drivers, and I only have one small annoyance with SP2. But, it seems the 66.93's are great.

Thanks for the info, I have yet to do the SP2 thing and the new nvidia drivers, so now I am better prepared!