Ghost Recon.net Forums
CR6

GR2 PC News Due After Christmas

With the release of GR2 for the Xbox this week, some fans of the PC version of GR have perhaps unrealistically expected we would get news about the upcoming PC version right away. The good news is that info is indeed coming, but we still have to be patient. Ubisoft's UK Community Manager "UbiRazz" has posted the following statement here at the official Ubi GR2 forums:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=40...2242#5051002242 (Thanks to Dannik for helping me find the source of the quote :thumbsup: )

The PC version is coming out later as it's getting reworked to make it as good as possible on PC and it's not just a straight, and poor, console port. They're intending to make it an amazing game specifically for the PC platform and are remaking the multiplayer and singleplayer game for it. Check back after Xmas for info on the PC version  :)

The good news is that info is indeed coming, but we still have to be patient.

funny

Fully justifies the wait for pc with that information. Excellent new - :thumbsup:

Im hoping this ends up like when I bought GR1 and flew into the first mission and was like - :blink::blink::o:rocky::) - I can feel the buzz already, i mean is it me or is there realy nothing other than GR for that complete and utter all consuming "more than a game" - feeling, both on waiting for it, the forums to read about it, and playing the beast itself ... hehe.

Im realy looking forward to being sat here - voice recognition on, 5.1 surround headphones on (buying a pair just for this game) - and sat loading into co-op play on (hopefully) - Alpha Squad server - with fresh maps and plenty to learn .... aaaah poetry.

it's nice to see they are making a PC specific title...instead of just throwing us a bone to keep us pacified while the consolers get all the attention...this really instills hope that GR2 will live up to GR... :)

I must be the odd man out, because I still don't see the justification at this point for not releasing some details about the PC game, even if it is in development. We certainly understand the process of testing and some features will be changed and some, ie, airstrikes in MP, will be dropped. That should not prevent some discussion of the general shape of the game and proposed features.

The fact remains that no real explanation has been provided by the company itself other than you'll get it when you get it, so shut up. Sorry, Uber Ubi, excuse me for being born. :o

I see UBI making GR2 for the PC into a great game, hopefully better than GR itself!

But if we are to get a great game with specific enhancements that only us PC gamers will have, this could conflict with their Xbox sales. You might start getting the XBoxers saying "why can't we have that feature". Which could cause a storm in forums, such as this one for example.

I'm happy waiting. I've got HL2 now to keep me occupied. ;) @ Kurtz.

I must be the odd man out, because I still don't see the justification at this point for not releasing some details about the PC game, even if it is in development.

Hey Kurtz, I can understand your thirst for info about the PC version, believe me I want to know too!

UbiRazz has said RSE is actually "reworking" the game, so I think it's more a matter that RSE does not want to release info too early until they've confirmed exactly what changes will make it into the PC version or not.

I would guess that the majority of what we'll see in the PC version is already in the Xbox. Personally I am not setting my expectations too high that the PC version will be radically different than the Xbox, given the fact they are owned by Ubisoft and likely need to move on with other projects (you can bet your boots there will be something along the lines of a Black Arrow style expansion pack)

That way, if RSE does come up with some big changes for the PC version, it'll blow me away even more :thumbsup:

I must be the odd man out, because I still don't see the justification at this point for not releasing some details about the PC game, even if it is in development.

Hey Kurtz, I can understand your thirst for info about the PC version, believe me I want to know too!

UbiRazz has said RSE is actually "reworking" the game, so I think it's more a matter that RSE does not want to release info too early until they've confirmed exactly what changes will make it into the PC version or not.

Plus RSE devs have stated multiple times that they don't like to release info on some feature unless they are positive it will end up being in the game.

The suspence is killing me. :P Please :santa: bring great news from RSE.

i'm sorta done with the whole affair. i'm done with the people who shill for ubi, and the way the pc fans have been marginalized so ubi could make their big holiday money.

at this point, i don't really care how great the pc version is because i feel as though it's too little too late....

but it goes WAY deeper than that, too: i've had a fundamental change in my perception of the tactical shooter genre. i think i'm pretty much over it. the fact that more and more publishers are targeting kids with these games -- and with the US government's current foreign policy -- i'm disappointed that these games strive for realism, yet sterilize war and combat by removing blood/gore, and by providing a very homogenized experience of combat in general.

basically, i'm politically conflicted and frustrated with a publisher who's out to gouge the market based on demographic research...

as an aside, i was suprised to see how much fun i had in the WoW open beta. that game comes out on the 23rd of this month and i think it would do me well to focus on that: it's fun, it's cooperative, and it isn't tainted with whackass world politics.

bye.

Edited by walnut

Well I generally hope that Ubirazz is not exaggerating when he describes the work being done on gr2.

But ya frankly i not gonna pin my hopes on it. They are really really reallly gonna have to impress the heck out of us.

You see, I was one of the first ones who started all the ruckus and complaining over at gr.com official forums. Hopefully I and the others sufficiently scared ubi into revamping the pc version. Thing of it is though we should not of had to. :angry:

Right now I've used up all my energy being angry over the subject. Instead I have kept my eye on other pc shooters out there that might have potential.

STALKER

First To Fight

Battlefield 2 (with realistic mods)

Half Life 2 (with realistic mods)

Far Cry (with realistic mods)

Swat 4

Its really the 3d engine thats critical in my opnion. Because I believe more importantly than the game itself its the MOD POTENTIAL that truly tells if the game is gonna be a hit or not.

Time will tell what happens folks. :unsure:

I just want any info I can get. The more the better, but who can blame them for wanting to suprise us some?

Edited by insane snyper

impressed.... at first news no.... before xbox release no (slightly inlightened)...

and then now....well no again, really sounds like a lot of the stuff a lot of people want in the pc version is gunna go overlooked.... And RSE doesnt seem to care...

honestly... seems like they dont ...

I hope they do... and spend mucho amount of time reworking the game to fullfill

the out cry for a Realistic war type game with some added element like respawns for gameplay value.

Seems like they used the stupid red/blue towers to show where the objectives is(how realistic is that). Why not just put a point on your command map? Seems to me they listened to the xbox people while making the xbox version. Lets hope they listen to us(pc players) to do the pc version..let me go take a breath now. :wall:

Seems like they used the stupid red/blue towers to show where the objectives is(how realistic is that). Why not just put a point on your command map?

And this was in the PC version when you last played it?

I would guess that the majority of what we'll see in the PC version is already in the Xbox. Personally I am not setting my expectations too high that the PC version will be radically different than the Xbox, given the fact they are owned by Ubisoft and likely need to move on with other projects (you can bet your boots there will be something along the lines of a Black Arrow style expansion pack)

That way, if RSE does come up with some big changes for the PC version, it'll blow me away even more :thumbsup:

I believe my opinion is slightly different than the greatest part of the community. If it's true that RSE is reworking the entire game I believe few months are not enough to bring to the light the sequel of GR. Therefore I would be glad to wait also 1 year that is the typical developing time. :rolleyes:

I believe my opinion is slightly different than the greatest part of the community.

As a PC gamer who has laddered for a long time in GR/DS/IT MP, and who's just tonight completed the Xbox campaign, I'm very much willing to wait. GR2Xbox is not a sequel, it's a related title. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it's not Ghost Recon 2, other than in name.

I've been humming and hawing about how I felt about the game, but finally I'm close to conclusion. GR2 is just not the same series, so far. It's more like some ###### crossbreed of R6:3 Xbox and America's Army. Pretty, but dumb. The AI coding is top notch, in that it's way smarter than a human can keep up with. Sure, you can pass a mission by being on your belly for two hours, but the AI is just psychic in so many ways, and moronic in others.

Having my AI teammates casually wander in front of my gun a dozen times, during a single firefight: Stupid.

Having the enemy see you through dense foliage and open fire, while taking cover, well before it's possible to see anything about them other than tracers, a combination of stupid and brilliant.

On maps with no foliage to speak of, it's possible to see them first. Otherwise, you better have one heck of a big TV, and a vast supply of patience.

Just one gamer's opinion of course.

Dann' your scaring me, do you think that any PC version will be an improvement, or are these basic errors that cant be removed from the games make-up ? :o

Dannik,

My main question to you is what is the replayability of the SP game?

What improvements would you like to see in the PC game? I think first that it is unrealistic to think that the game will be reenginered in terms of map and mission design.

1. What if the squad command system was enhanced over the existing generic commands. For example, if you could order your squad to move to a specific location and hold, until you got into a firing position. It seems the advance order just sends them ahead.

2. The far view setting for AI must be set too far for them to "see" you through cover or while prone. This must be set in order to provoke more firefights, but it nullifies any tactical approach.

3. The team AI needs boosting, it seems that the design is that you do most or nearly all the heavy lifting.

I have come to the conclusion that the game structure of GR was "sui generis", it was the best game where you could play as any character in the field or remotely control them anywhere on the map, the only other game that did that well was HD 2, both of which I play. The new games that have abandoned character switching and tactical maps, in favor of a single player with squad support are a response to players who found the structure cumbersome and the gameplay boring and slow paced. They are faster paced, have more action and excitement, have a lot of scripted elements, are more linear and channelled, and probably will have less replayability. There is not much sense railing against an industry trend, you have to find your realistic (sans aliens and plasma guns) combat games where you can find them. Better hang on to your copies of GR, you'll never see that again in the near future.

Edited by Kurtz