UK GR2 hands-on 15 November

Posted by UbiRazz (Ubi's UK Community Manager) at the ubi.com forum:

Our good friends over at  xequted.com have a brand new extensive preview of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2. It's incredibly detailed and interesting so get over there now!

Read the preview now!

On 15th November 2004 we're offering a very select lucky few the chance to play Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2 for a full day!

Head along to the sign up page to register your interest!

Like it says in the updated news post...

We've been guaranteed 3 tickets to this limited event, which is being held on the 15th of November (i.e. Monday) from 10am onwards in Reading. Anyone who is available on that date and would like to be considered should e-mail me with their forum name right away!

:D

Oh, and there are loads of freebies at the event too apparently!

If you want in, send me your forum ID ASAP to rocky@ghostrecon.net.

This is weird.

The signup page says it's only for people that live in Britain but you have to fill in your country in the pulldown-list?

So what is it? Open only to brits or to anyone?

You gonna fly over D? :o

I think it is UK only as it says, but there's nothing stopping anyone filling the form in if they wanted to take that chance. I would guess it is just an admin mistake having that country selection. I could probably find out tomorrow if you really want me to.

The day started off well, trains got cancelled and so i was an hour late but by chance i sat down with a person who wasnt crowded with other people and we both complained about not having keyboards, turned out it was nexus! :)

I got to have a go with both the XBOX and PS2 versions, In all honesty I don’t think its worth comparing the two on a like for like basis as in my opinion the xbox version was of a much higher caliber and theres different hardware restrictions blah blah blah.

Firstly the graphics were excellent and seemed to push the capabillities of both consoles, but it has to be said the PS2 was poor in some areas, the effects (grenades exploding etc) weren’t as good as the xbox's. Also in some areas the visuals looked somewhat cartoony, especially the weapons on the floor. The xbox's visuals were every bit as good as the screenshots that we've seen. RSE and Ubi have got the death animations just right, both performed well on the PS2 and xboxen. It is the death animation from GR1 but enhanced further with the ragdoll effects, once i shot a guy on a tower and he tumbled forward and fell off and dropped 20m. I don’t think the PS2 graphics were great but they were enough and if the xbox version is what we get on PC then id be happy, but we're getting refined graphics so its even better!

I dont think we can say either version has destructible terrain, obviously there are sections where its an objective to blow up a structure (bridges and towers for example) and they stay as part of the gameworld in a ruined state, but you can still fire a rocket at a wall and it'll leave a black patch, nothing more so in some respects similar to GR1. However when you do destroy structures the effects are very impressive, there’s a cut scene and then it switched back to the player with rubble still falling everywhere etc. By destrucatble terrain id expect red faction stylee so maybe its just me, but its definitely a big step in the right direction.

Gameplay, This was where the PS2 version went down in my estimation, it just didnt feel like GR to me, but then i never played GR1 on PS2 so maybe it was the same in GR1, things that really irritated me were that the rets closed to quickly on some weapons and that you could be placing the rets over a enemy and you could use nearly a whole magazine on single shot but it just wouldn’t hit the target!

On the other hand GR2 xbox was the same GR that we know and love with more realistic firefights (no longer do we have the problem of single shots continuously) I cant say i ever had a real firefight in GR1 but in the 3 or 4 hours i played it was intense and i dare say more realistic. At no point did i think it was over the top, or arcadey. Was just about right. With both versions i didn’t feel at home with the analogue controllers, ive never liked playing FPS's with them and so it did feel more cumbersome than usual, but that’s probably a moot point because we'll have keyboards and mice for the PC version obviously.

I didnt notice enemies spawing in front of me as was stated in a review, this might just have been a result of the improved AI, they are more aggressive.

The new way of organizing your squad worked well, I didn’t get to use it to its fullest because it was difficult getting used to all the controls. Its similar to RVS where a segmented disc comes up and you choose a order from that set, it works really well, the enemy AI are generally a lot cleverer than in previous versions. They have to be now they have bigger tasks. I never had any of them killed, they weren’t suicidal maniacs and they used cover well. On the xbox my only gripe was the fact that in some areas I still had to do some of the work myself, but hey it wouldn’t be much of a fun game if we sat back and did nothing, but again a huge improvement on the first game. PS2 wise, they weren’t effective enough at backing me up, they wouldn’t use their own iniative that much to seek out targets that were pinning me down and so it wasn’t as good as the xbox in that respect.

Enemy AI was better than GR1 in both versions but nothing special, they use flanking tactics and the like more but they still had their dumb moments when id run up to his face and he wouldn’t shoot and it took about 5 seconds for him to open fire before stopping to reload and then killing me, but hey nothings perfect.

Weapon selection and variety has come on a lot, the machine guns like the M249 and M240 are now very effective and I found myself using them more than the M8 and SA80 on the xbox version. You get a primary slot, a secondary slot and 2 other slots for grenades and stuff. If you choose to take an attached grenade launcher then that takes up the secondary slot so you get no pistol. On the PS2 the emplaced weapons seemed to have little or no recoil which made the PS2 version feel slightly more arcadey than the xbox one. The xbox game does have realistic recoil if you fire on full auto for a length of time, neither over heat any more which I didn’t like.

Multiplayer I got absolutely caned at in the tournament (I think virtually everyone there were console players) What can I say, it was GR1 but a whole lot better, camoflague plays a bigger role, its now possible to use bushes for concealment, not as well as JO but you don’t stick out so much anymore. I didn’t get to use the medic feature at all because noone got hurt in single player!

Overall I was very pleased, bearing in mind I was one of the most skeptical and vocal members on the official forums up until a couple of months ago, im glad RSE have proved me wrong, this game is worth waiting for! Xbox gamers are going to have a very good xmas, PS2 owners are getting an OK game, put it this way if that’s what we’d got on PC id be very annoyed, but the people on PS2 may be expecting a different game to us anyway, I don’t know. It just had a more linear feeling than the xbox version, very restricted, do this do that go down this route etc. xbox is slightly more linear than before but coop will still be great fun. No more invisible walls either in the xbox version that i saw, there were some blatent ones in the PS2 version (another thing i disliked) there were some slopes you could go up in both games but would start to slip down if you went to far and you could fall and die.

Some PC specific stuff I asked about:

Time is being spent in the gap between xbox release and PC release to refine the multiplayer and other aspects of the game to our liking, he seemed honest in that respect, specifically anti cheat, hell yeah! As usual not much PC info but it felt positive and im in no doubt ill be buying this, the maps are so much more well thought out than in GR1. The graphics will surely get better too. GR2 gets my approval. As long as ubi support this game with patches we are in for a treat. :rocky: EDIT: i also asked about how many players would be in PC MP , the answer was 'more' and it was a confident more so maybe 64? that seems a lot but we shall see... :whistle:

Thanks to rocky for letting me go and thanks to ubisoft for organising a great day!

Edited by babydave

The day started off well, trains got cancelled and so i was an hour late but by chance i sat down with a person who wasnt crowded with other people and we both complained about not having keyboards, turned out it was nexus:)

LOL, too funny, what were the chances of that. Those RSi guys get everywhere!

I'm glad you had a good day and chuffed to hear another positive post, thanks for writing it up! :thumbsup:

hey, did you manage to find your way home in the end?!  ;)

Que?!

###### happened at the demo that nexus had a hard time getting home OK? Spill the beans BD.

Great preview too. I was pretty vocal to and it seems that RSE (I know you took our concerns back to work Serellan) listened to those of us hardcore gamers.