Question

Specter

When I open 'My Computer', the process called 'Explorer' drags my resources through the roof.

My processor usage hits 100% and stays there, and my commit charge max's out.

I have checked for viruses and I'm clean there, and I have checked for Spyware, and I'm clean there also.

Any ideas?

C'mon Roco, I know you have something for me.

Have you tried killing the process and letting it restart? That would save having to reboot.

As for what's causing it, it literally could be anything. Are you getting any unusual entries in your system and application logs?

Have you tried killing the process and letting it restart?  That would save having to reboot.

As for what's causing it, it literally could be anything.  Are you getting any unusual entries in your system and application logs?

Yes, I have tried killing it and restarting it. And as soon as I open My computer, it does it again.

Edited by PhantmSniper

What version of WinXP are you using? Do you have SP1 installed? (zjj told us not to mention SP2 to you ... uh ... ooops :whistle:;) )

I remember reading that Explorer.exe using 100% system resources was a known issue with XP pre-SP1. Here's what Microsoft has to say:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;317751

Here's another forum I found with a discussion on this issue - may or may not be useful

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread26131-1.html

I found the problem.

Last week, I had switched some drive letters around(you're supposed to be able to), because Winblows did a funky setup last time I reinstalled.

I did a system restore to put the drive letters back the way Winblows had them, and everything fine now.

Why include an option when it doesn't work?

Of course we have all bee asking Microsoft that since DOS6.22, their last REAL OS.

Thanks for the replies, everyone ! ! :blush:

I found the problem. 

Last week, I had switched some drive letters around(you're supposed to be able to), because Winblows did a funky setup last time I reinstalled.

I did a system restore to put the drive letters back the way Winblows had them, and everything fine now.

Of course we have all bee asking Microsoft that since DOS6.22, their last REAL OS.

Swapping drive letters has always worked perfectly for me in WinXP. Did your problems start immediately after swapping the drive letters? It may be a coincidence that the problem occured around the same time as swapping the drive letters, and may not be related.

I found the problem. 

Swapping drive letters has always worked perfectly for me in WinXP. Did your problems start immediately after swapping the drive letters? It may be a coincidence that the problem occured around the same time as swapping the drive letters, and may not be related.

Nope. They were related, and that was the cause. After undoing the switch, problems ceased.