OPERATION: RECURRING NIGHTMARE

WytchDokta

Ah, so here I am....

Anyway, my modem had a nervous breakdown about 3 weeks ago. I was working first thing on the monday (3 weeks ago). Then I goes to go on the net later tht morning. No dial tone. Apparently. I wrote about this in the "One of these days I'll...." thread. So any way, thinking it was the lead causing problem (as everyone here said it was but there are just about to find out they're wrong), I buy a new phone extension lead and a new modem lead. This weekend is the only weekend that I could get home in two weeks (was needed at work last weekend), to put the new lead in.

So I put the new leads in, click on connect. No dial tone. Apparently. I get the phone, plug it into the adapter upstairs. Fair enough, no dial tone. Plug the phone in the adpter downstairs (the adapter downstairs is plugged into phone socket). There is a dial tone.

So I thought, take the rig downstairs, plug the modem lead straight into the phone socket. No dial tone. Alright, now you ARE taking the ****!! It was the new modem lead plugged in too. There is no way it was any of the new leads causing the problem. It's gotta be something else.

So I continue doing research down in the lab this morning. Lab Test #2..... I try different lead combinations - no dial tone. Apparently. Results from Lab Test #2 proved that it had to be the modem causing the problem. There was no way it was anything else.

So off I go down the computer shop. I speak to the guy there. He said it had to be the modem. He said to me though,

"Lightning strike"

I chuckled. I'm thinking, you're taking the **** right? He explained that this "lightening strike" has maybe "taken out" the modem and the extension phone line with it. What the? I don't recall there being a storm after I used the internet first thing on tha monday morning. What is he on about? Surely if lightning did strike my house and "take out" the modem, it would have taken out other stuff too, but everything else is good. Anyway, I purchased a new modem, a V92 (old one was V90). This was a hardware modem too, old one was software. So I put in the new modem and install drivers etc - it works.... So there you have it. It was the modem causing all the problems afterall. You guys told me it was the lead, you lied to me lol j/k

And here I be.....

Florida lightening alley.

I was in my kitchen making some food

had my computer on and lightening storm outside was hitting kind of close and was causing power fluxuations.

My pc couldnt handel one my CPU temp shot up to about 78*c ..... my overheat alarm went off and scared me crapless. So i turned it off let it set while i finish eating.

turn it back on and all of my BIOS was changed.... not to defaults or what i had it at before it just flipped out and went crazy

so i had to redo it all over. and now my CPU doesnt over clock as high as it used to... wich ###### me off.... :angry: