DS22 getting a new video card?

So me and the parents talked alittle bit more today and know there saying there considering it. What that means i dont' know :unsure: .....I probalby won't get it for another month atleast so my mom can do her research but i have a plan. I'm going to tell you what i think is a reasonable price for us to get a new video card and our specs and you guys tell me what my best decision is. My main reason for upgrading is JO. Atleast this way i have a new video card and still play it even if it is laggy. Also, if we do get our video card, hopefully while its getting installed, my mom might upgrade a bit more too get it runner faster. So i'm thinking $300-250 CDN. Here are what i know of my system specs...

Windows ME

256 MB of ram(Caine suggested i upgrade this over at TE, how much will that cost)

Radeon SDR(replacing this)

Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.50 GHz Genuineintel ~1507 MHz

31.22 GB of free space

Uhhh tell me what else you need to know and where to find it on my comp and i'll let you know......

(i'm determined to get JO!!!!!!!!!!)

Post your dxdiag so we can see just what your system is.

i'm not sure what that exactly is but i went to Start>run> then typed it in and i got this. (only posting what i didn't post before or things like current time etc)

Operating System: Windows ME,(4.90, Build 3000)

system manufacturer - n/a

system model - n/a

BIOS - Award

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.50 GHZ

Memory: 256 MB ram

page file: 267MB used, 1525MB available,

Direct X version: DirectX 9.0b(4.09.0000.0902)

thers a bunch of other tabs for sound and what not. Hope this helps. :yes:

I think with your system, a Radeon 9600XT is probably the most you can take advantage of. If you plan on upgrading more parts within a year or so, the 6800GT would be my suggestion.

Edited by Crimson

The computer is 3 years on christmas, so i'm going to ask the parents for a new one then (which they won't do) so then i'll ask them to upgrade a few parts to hold me up untill we get a new one. Thanks for the suggestion all and i'll look into your suggestions Crimson.

Keep on posting/1

I think with your system, a Radeon 9600XT is probably the most you can take advantage of. If you plan on upgrading more parts within a year or so, the 6800GT would be my suggestion.

now crimson, i've been looking at them, do i want the all in wonder 9600XT, or the Radeon 9600XT ? i don't know all the lingo and terms.

The AIW is for stuff like Video-In... basically watching TV on your monitor.

But, you may want something better if you get a better computer during Christmas.

yeah i'm working on getting a whole new computer...but if not that atleast i can get a new video card....i'll let you guys knwo hwo it goes.

k looking through the users manual i found this under features:

- AGP Pro Slot: Comes with an Accelerated Graphics Port Pro <A TITLE="Click for more information about slot" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||slot|AA1VDw">slot</A> that supports AGP cards for high performance, componet level interconnect targeted at 3D graphical appplications using 1X, 2X, or 4X mode bux. Backward compatiable suport AGP 2X and AGP 1X.

So from what i knwo i do have 4X. :thumbsup:

EDIT: plus the guy we take it too will tell us all that and make us upgrade for more parts! :rofl:

Edited by deadly_sniper22

I know that, but if he only supports 2x or 4x AGP, isn't it waste getting a card that wont be run to its full potential?

The difference between 4x AGP and 8x AGP is practically nill.

@DS - You sure that was the users manual? Didn't know they put HTML in a motherboard manual regarding the AGP slot. :P

In any case, the GT.

I know that, but if he only supports 2x or 4x AGP, isn't it waste getting a card that wont be run to its full potential?

The difference between 4x AGP and 8x AGP is practically nill.

@DS - You sure that was the users manual? Didn't know they put HTML in a motherboard manual regarding the AGP <A TITLE="Click for more information about slot" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||slot|AA1VDw">slot</A>. :P

In any case, the GT.

D'OH. its the stupid spyware and adware :o=<_<

system model - n/a

BIOS - Award

That's a start... To get the full dxdiag there is a button that says "save all information". This will create a text file with all the dxdiag information. You can then copy and paste the full dxdiag here. :D

Is this a Dell, Gateway, HP or other mass produced system?

Just 4 your information, I read in an article from my pc magazine that the geforce6800, the new graphiccard out by Nvidia?, needs extra juice. So they reccommended you to upgrade your power supply to consider the extra power requirements.

plus, with your current P4 1.5Ghz is that kind of expense worth the time? :blink:

system model - n/a

BIOS - Award

That's a start... To get the full dxdiag there is a button that says "save all information". This will create a text file with all the dxdiag information. You can then copy and paste the full dxdiag here. :D

Is this a Dell, Gateway, HP or other mass produced system?

ahhh i c. Ok......i'll go get it....ok now that i got it you want me to post all of it? Its pretty loooooonnnnnnngggggggg./....let me know

also, its a custom pc a friend of ours made for us....so its not Dell, Gateway etc.

Yes, post the entire dxdiag! :D

Also to find out what speed your memory is get this program:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1〈=en

Run it and look under: Computer->Overclock and scroll down until you see "SPD memory modules". It will show just what the memory is in your computer.

Edit: If your board is a Asus P4T Intel 850 the memory is going to cost a bunch of money. That board uses RDRAM, which must be installed in pairs. Right now I see 256 MB RDRAM sticks going for $99 (US) each.

Edited by Chef-Scott