How do I install mods?

bnk182s

Hello, I have just installed GR and I've never installed a mod. I opened it with fileplanet, and then I had to choose which program to open it with....well I chose Ghost Recon ( the main file) Not only did I not get it, but now I can't choose what else to open it with. I hope you guys understand and please help me with this problem! Also, what is the current patch state of Ghost recon?

It sounds like you've set GR to open zip files.

To fix this, open My Computer, click Tools and select Folder Options. Click the File Types tab and scroll down to the ZIP extension. If it is set to open with GR delete it.

You will need a program like WinZip or WinRAR to open zip archives. The WinZip website can be found here.

Mods that are in zip format will need to be extracted to your Ghost Recon Mod directory. Mods that are in exe format will normally know where to install the mod.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Edited by blistr

I opened it with fileplanet, and then I had to choose which program to open it with....well I chose Ghost Recon ( the main file) Not only did I not get it, but now I can't choose what else to open it with.

Do you mean that when you went to download the file from File Planet you clicked OPEN instead of SAVE, or did you save it to your hard drive first?

Also, if you know what the file extension is for the mod you tried to install using GR, follow the same instructions only substitute the file extension for ZIP.

The evaluation version of WinZip can be found on their website by clicking the download button.

1. I opened it. Should I have saved?

2. All I did was click open with Ghost Recon. After that, GR started up, just like I double clicked the icon.

3.Will I be able to use that for over 21 days?

4. Thank you for taking interest in my cry for help!

It's quite easy to see you're a newbie on this field but this is not to make you guilty. Everyone of easy had to start once and you are lucky you can find us to help you ;)

I believe my mates here gave you lots of hints but let me try to explain again.

- First of all you need a good program to unzip files. I believe the best freeware one is IZArc that you can download from http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm. Then you install it and you can open zip files (or rar file, sometimes used by mod packagers).

- Then you download the mod from Fileplanet (for example) and, yes, you save it on your desktop.

- double click on the zip file and you will have some files to put in you mod directory (sometimes you will have an .exe file to install as normal program)

- you launch GR and go to your mod tab (insie options) and activate.

Have fun! :P

Also, what is the current patch state of Ghost recon?

The current patch is 1.4.

I believe you own only GR standard with no expansion. In this case you should download patch 1.3 and then 1.4.

Unfortunately there will be very few mods you can playif you don't have the expansion packs. :(

It's quite easy to see you're a newbie on this field but this is not to make you guilty. Everyone of easy had to start once and you are lucky you can find us to help youĀ  ;)

I believe my mates here gave you lots of hints but let me try to explain again.

- First of all you need a good program to unzip files. I believe the best freeware one is IZArc that you can download from http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm. Then you install it and you can open zip files (or rar file, sometimes used by mod packagers).

- Then you download the mod from Fileplanet (for example) and, yes, you save it on your desktop.

- double click on the zip file and you will have some files to put in you mod directory (sometimes you will have an .exe file to install as normal program)

- you launch GR and go to your mod tab (insie options) and activate.

Have fun! :P

As giwex said.

Oh, and the mod directory can be found in the directory you installed Ghost Recon in (the default directory to install mods in is 'C:\Program Files\Red Storm Entertainment\Ghost Recon\Mods').

The patches for Ghost Recon can be downloaded here: >>Patch 1.3 (47.1MB)<< and >>Patch 1.4 (5.7MB)<< Just click a server to download from and Bob's your uncle... ;)

Edited by blistr

No problems mate. Glad we could help :D

BTW, when you install DS and IT, you'll only need the 1.4 patch.

I believe Gold Edition is already 1.4 patched. To check your version look on the right botton of your main screen :thumbsup:

No problems mate. Glad we could helpĀ  :D

BTW, when you install DS and IT, you'll only need the 1.4 patch.

I believe Gold Edition is already 1.4 patched. To check your version look on the right botton of your main screen :thumbsup:

:huh:

Mine was only 1.3.5. I had to update to 1.4

:unsure: