Planning on Upgrading Graphics Card

bnk182s

Hey, I am running a G-FORCE 4 and am looking to upgrade. I am "blind" when it comes to this, so any help will be great. I am trying to upgrade for Half Life 2, because I'm not sure if I can run it well with this. Please in your suggestions remember that they are INCREDIBLY expensive and I am INCREDIBLY thrifty! Thanks for your help guys!

A standard 6800 can be had for $300, although I havent seen any benchmarks on it, so I cant comment on its performance.

I still think the best bang/buck card is the 9800 Pro for around $200. The 256MB version is about $50 more.

Well right now, after looking at all the prices for the cards, do you think the G-Force 4 will get me through HL2 and all the way until Xmas ( hopefully getting my parents to do the dirty work).

My motherboard is: Gigabyte Pentium 4 Titan Series--GA-8st800

It might... you would probably have to turn the graphics down to next to nothing. It's going to depend on what processor and how much/how fast your memory is.

You're going to need a Ti4600, not an MX card.

Edited by Crimson

Don't forget to check the bitrate of the memory interface on Radeon 9800Pro cards.

Most of the $200 cards you are seeing only have 128bit memory interfaces, as opposed to the 'real' 9800Pro's 256bit interface. They are crippled versions of the same card, with the same name. Sapphire and ATi have both been quietly releasing these variants, along with who knows who else.

A Radeon 9800Pro should have a 256bit memory interface. If it's not, it's a crippleware card.

Most of the $200 cards you are seeing only have 128bit memory interfaces, as opposed to the 'real' 9800Pro's 256bit interface.  They are crippled versions of the same card, with the same name.  Sapphire and ATi have both been quietly releasing these variants, along with who knows who else.

I would expect that from Sapphire and other 3rd party companies. Not from ATI. All ATI 9800 Pro and 9800 XT cards are 256 bit memory interface.

Ah, yes. My mistake on ATi. Sapphire has certainly been sneaky, but ATi has never been found to partake in this practice. I regret my error.

Still, I stand by the advice to ensure the card you are purchasing as a Radeon 9800Pro is NOT a 128bit memory interface. With the prices dropping so fast, some have been tricked into lower end versions of the cards they thought they were buying.

Edited by Dannik

At the risk of sparking an arguement, what are the views about AGP vs PCI?

As a computer novice I am unsure which way to go for my next computer. Either go for a Dell with PCI based graphics card, or do what a knowledgable mate suggests - go for a custom job with AGP.