Planning on Upgrading Graphics Card

bnk182s

At the risk of sparking an arguement, what are the views about AGP vs PCI?

Nobody who knows anything factual about PCs would argue that given the choice of an AGP port/card vs. PCI, AGP wins by a landslide. It's been a few years since PCI cards were the norm.

That being said, there's also PCI Express, which is so new it's hard to find hardware in stores yet. It's the next evolution past AGP, but probably not practical to consider at this time. Six months from now, it should be more prevalent.

As a self-stated computer novice, a PC with AGP support (and not an AGP chipset built into the motherboard, but a full AGP slot) is the most practical choice. Avoid PCI graphics completely, and don't worry about PCI Express at this point.

AGP is the way to go until PCI-Express takes over. ;)

Looks like PCI Ex. has it's work cut out for it. After reading the articles about PCI Ex. at AN And TECH the AGP cards were still better in just about all the tests. Same with the new chipsets from Intel not any better than the 875P. Looks like much ado about no increase in gaming performance. Still early with these combos so things could improve. :ph34r:

i have been following this thread closely because i am also looking to buy new new graphics card, at the moment i am using a Radeon 9000 64 mb, but i am a bit confused by all the cards available.

what would you recommend me buying?

here is my system information:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030422-1633)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.0

Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 2500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz

Memory: 512MB RAM

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)

thank you

Edited by swartsz

what would you recommend me buying?

If you had your 2500+ OC'ed to a 3200+, I would recommend the 6800 GT, but since you dont, a regular 6800 should do.

thank you for the advice. i hear overclocking can be a bit risky so i will leave it as it is now.

after looking a lot a different graphics cards in my price-range, i have made a little selection of which i could use some feedback.

which one should i buy, according to you?

1. Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128Mb

2. Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT Atlantis 256Mb

both get good points in a pc magazine i bought, but now i would like to have some feedback from you.

hey,

I'm the topic starter and I am the proud new owner of a Radeon 9600 SE...turns out the store owed my dads business money and gave me a card instead of paying my dad....SCORE!

newayz, how does a 9600 compare to a Nvidia Geforce 4? Just wonderin....thanks alot guys for supporting this topic!

P.S. Hope to play you on DOOM 3! :o=

9600SE? Not to familiar with the SE version, but the XT version is the best, then there's the Pro version which came out first. I'd say the performance might be a tad lacking in DX8 based games, but since the 9600s have DX9 support, you would edge out the GF4s... I think. But hey, if you got it for free then that's sick. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
1. Sapphire Radeon 9800 Atlantis Pro 128Mb

2. Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT Atlantis 256Mb

IIRC, the "Atlantis" series of 9800 cards is 128 bit and not 256 bit, performance will not be equal to a real 9800 Pro.

Like Supa said, it is the 256bit! and it is arriving tomorrow!!!!!!!!! :D

Edited by swartsz