Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
firefly2442

PHP setup

Hi, I'm trying to setup PHP on my website so that I can install this awesome forum software (Invisionboard). I'm having a bit of trouble though. I've downloaded and installed the latest version of PHP from www.php.net but I don't know how to set it up. I know I need to edit the .httaccess file in apache but is there anything else I need to do? Any websites that could help me? Did you install PHP as a CGI Executable or a Module?

are you trying to run php and mysql locally so you can test out your site before putting it on the server? with windows? huge headache. i highly recommend getting the latest version of *php triad* which will install apache, mysql and php for windows. you push one button. (however, i check the mysql version cos on mine it was deprecated.)

another easy forum i would recommend is xmb. also php which means easy to use and modify (but huge security holes just as well). then theres always post nuke which my surprised not to see not many gr boards running.

The Operating System is Windows XP. Well, I test it out locally on my computer but it's still on the internet. My website address just redirects to my DNS IP so.... I'll check out PHP TRIAD and the other forum software. Thanks for the suggestions.

I looked at PHP Triad but the versions of apache, php, and mysql are all old. I guess they haven't updated it in awhile. I'll check up php.net, maybe they have more info on how to setup php on a windows machine.

php sucks less. at the extreme you got ENTIRE sites driven by php post nuke code and thats just like having a big neon sign saying "HACK ME PLEASE." in any event i think a lot depends on whether the server's apache and php/mysql are all patched up and on the up and up.

yeah my version of triad had an outdated mysql. you can download it separately and install it in the proper apache subfolder. either way, you're just testing locally so you dont need to worry about the latest versions (so long as its not that different).