Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WytchDokta

Not another AMD vs Intel thread!!

Ok guys, I will be getting me new rig very soon. The thing is, I still can't decide what processor to get for it.

I just bought a PC. Not the sort with game demos etc. According to this mag, AMD Athlon 64 3400 runs at 2.20GHz (it's true though, they didn't make that up for the mag). Now, when I originally posted about what spec to get for my new rig, I stated that I WILL NOT get ANY processor below 2.5GHz. I would go for 2.5GHz or above, preferably 3.4GHz. I'm staying true my words (as always). 2.2GHz ain't for me. But, this is AMD Athlon 64, 64-bit we're talking about, not just your ordinary processor.

Intel P4 3.4GHz will run at 3.4 GHz, that will do me nicely. But it's only 32-bit. I wanna be able to run the likes of Far Cry and HL2 at full graphics WITHOUT any lag whatsoever (hence why I have gone for 1024MB ram). I will tell you now that HL2 at full graphics will lag out big time even on 2.2GHz.

There is also some article in the mag that says that (apparently) Intel are "struggling" with their "single core" processors, and AMD aren't with their Athlon 64 processors.

So, what's the processor for me? I still dunno, u guys gonna have to help me decide.

I'm also thinking about "converting" to ATI Radeon 9800, I got nVidia GeForce 4 in this rig and was originally gonna get an FX 5900 for the new rig. Ah man, 2 many decisions.

It will soon be time to get the new rig.

I'm looking at the rainbow.

Ohh....the nice colours....

*we need an adult section where people can actually air their honest off-the-chest thoughts without worrying that it will upset some 13 year old who has found his way onto the high chair next to his dad's computer desk*

sorry - but it frustrates me - though I am not arguing about it - reasons for post deletion accepted.

Jeeze, cool it guys. :wacko:

Seriously though... Nightmare, it's a perfectly valid piece of advice to go and read up on the issue instead of expecting people to go out of their way to tell you everything. There are plenty of dedicated hardware forums out there that have articles on the issue in question, and you may well find it useful to locate and read these.

On the other hand, if you feel lucky asking questions (and if people feel they want to answer them), then ask by all means.

Just don't be disappointed if you don't get the response you were looking for.

Nightmare,

You need to stop looking at clock speed since they are throwing you off. They mean almost nothing, infact soon the whole GHz thing will be ditched, you will start seeing model numbers from both Intel and AMD, the P4 will be known as the 500 series. You should what will last you the longest and performs the best. The A64 will last you much longer because it is 64bit, and many programs will start to have 64bit versions. And that brings to the performs better part. Theres a reason we don't use 8bit CPUs anymore (or haven't for a long time), the more bits the better it will perform. You can find specific reviews comparing the two CPUs if you want, but the bottom line is that the A64 is better.

Nightmare,

You need to stop looking at clock speed since they are throwing you off. They mean almost nothing, infact soon the whole GHz thing will be ditched, you will start seeing model numbers from both Intel and AMD, the P4 will be known as the 500 series. You should what will last you the longest and performs the best. The A64 will last you much longer because it is 64bit, and many programs will start to have 64bit versions. And that brings to the performs better part. Theres a reason we don't use 8bit CPUs anymore (or haven't for a long time), the more bits the better it will perform. You can find specific reviews comparing the two CPUs if you want, but the bottom line is that the A64 is better.

Finally, I get the answer I'm looking for :thumbsup:

I think that the 3400 is like the over clocked clock speed i.e. the proccessor is overclocked from 2.2 to in effect 3.4. Well thats how Ive always inderstood it hence you get faster for less with AMD and hence the old problems with over heating. I aint sure tho :unsure:

BlackMamba,Jun 11 2004, 14:11 ] I think that the 3400 is like the over clocked clock speed i.e. the proccessor is overclocked from 2.2 to in effect 3.4. Well thats how Ive always inderstood it hence you get faster for less with AMD and hence the old problems with over heating. I aint sure tho :unsure:

Its not overclocked, its a rating. It means that a AXP 3200+ will perform the same as a P4 3.2 GHz, clock speed doesn't mean much.

Anyone shed some light on what the AMD Athlon 64 FX53 is? Is it better than the standard Athlon 64? What's so special about it?

Hella fast, hella expensive. Also requires ECC RAM IIRC, and a special mobo with the right socket to support it. It's another 64bit processor but faster than most. Check out the NewCastles... 3.8Ghz. :rocky:

Got $700 to shell out on a processor alone?

Edited by Crimson

.:Nightmare:.,Jun 11 2004, 15:06 ] Anyone shed some light on what the AMD Athlon 64 FX53 is? Is it better than the standard Athlon 64? What's so special about it?

I don't think you need it, just go with a standard A64.