Ghost Recon.net Forums
WhiteKnight77

High System Requirments

Are High System Requirments a Good Idea?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been waiting for awhile now...........When GR came out I was playing it on a 500MHZ, :D:D 256 mem, GF 2 mx400..............and thats what it is still running on.

But I got so fed up with not being able to play the newer games or get everything out of GR that I knew it had...that I finally went out and bought a new pc. 3.2 ghz cpu, ati 9800 pro, 2 ghz mem, etc etc......it should be here early this week....I cant wait......I bet I will play GR for a long time to come....I cant wait to see the difference in the game from the way I have seen it. I have about 10 games I plan on buying within the first week after I get my new pc.

I play GR1 (graphics-detail set on high except shadows) with :

- AMD XP 1800+ 1.53 Ghz

- 512 MB DDR-RAM 266 Mhz

- GeForce 3 64 MB DDR-RAM

- 80 GB HD 7200 rpm

- SB Live 1024

I bought this 5 years ago (was fast then !)

I probably need to upgrade it for GR2 if I want to keep playing on high graphics settings.

I think I'll need something like this for GR2 :

- 2.5 to 3 Ghz Processor

- 1 GB RAM (400 Mhz?)

- 256 MB RAM videocard

- 200 GB HD 10.000 rpm

- better soundcard.

My question is : can my PC handle those upgrades or would it be better to get a whole new PC. It's a 5 year old thing. Maybe it need a stronger fan for the cooling etc.

- 2.5 to 3 Ghz Processor

- 1 GB RAM (400 Mhz?)

- 256 MB RAM videocard

- 200 GB HD 10.000 rpm

- better soundcard.

My question is : can my PC handle those upgrades or would it be better to get a whole new PC.

That would be a new PC, basically. :blink:

Although you say nothing about a motherboard or power supply.

I feel poor... :blink:

EDIT - Checks money... yep, $6. Great. FSW... GR2... BIA... *sigh*

You have FSW before GR on the buying list!? :o

Ban him.

Wicked, want to send some of your money this way? I see you bought an uber PC and now are planning on buying 10 games. Assuming each is ~$40, thats roughly $400!

Edited by Crimson

There seems to be a pretty big split on whether or not new games should have high system requirements. The general consensus is for developers to push the envelope and I don't have a problem with it. I know there are those who can't always upgrade (lord knows I can't drop a few bills on something whenever I want), but if planned out, upgrades are possible for anyone.

I just want to play without worry

Does this mean:

It should have low enough requirements everyone can play... or

I am filthy rich and upgrade my computer every other day, so I dont need to worry about requirements.

?

This debate will run & run because not just for this game but PC's in general are always pushing faster and faster so nothing is realy "hi spec" as 6 months down the road its old ... usual rat-race ;)

To get it into perspective I recently switched on "show intro movie" in GR (i wanted to see chems BIM mod intro) .. anywho Island thunder movie played & got me thinking. I would like GR to be up to the standard in real-time of the IT intro movie as it does look very much like the level of what crytek engine is doing now. Obviously bump mapping etc is all switchable & although we know its not Crytek engine being used gor GR2 for a comparison its not bad with how scalable the graphics are in that game to see how top polished eye candy & performance is.

Crytek scaled down still looks superb on my ti4200. Just trying to use existing examples, but anyway the IT intro movie is worth a look at to get an idea of how it should look.

I just want to play without worry

Does this mean:

It should have low enough requirements everyone can play... or

I am filthy rich and upgrade my computer every other day, so I dont need to worry about requirements.

?

Actually, it was more about using a console even though I don't outright ask. Consoles are a play and not worry about it setup compared to a PC where some of us have a tendency to upgrade regularly to have pretty decent hardware.

Even though 6 month old hardware is "ancient", it still is a viable piece of equipment. I still have my first PC (I use it to download pics from my digital camera) and that is almost 4 years old. I don't use it for gaming like I did when I first got it (and GR showed me that it wasn't really a gaming rig). I am still amazed at the difference between what I saw in GR then and now with my current rig (if you read my preformance vs quality in GR report you would understand). Yes, people will want to try and game with old hardware, but there comes a time when it just won't cut it and a person really needs to get new gear.