Ghost Recon.net Forums

im pretty sure you guys are tired of my *****ing by now, but the problem is ongoing.

ok, while playing games like BF1942, BFV, and GR, my pc at inoppurtune times would either freeze or reboot on its own and come back with a message like so:

error.JPG

im wondering if it might be a Windows problem perhaps.

i know its not a power problem since i got a 430w Antec TruePower recently and i know its not a memory problem since i used Memtest86 and it checked out.

here's my specs:

Pentium 4 2.4ghz processor

1 GB DDR SDRAM

ATi Radeon 9600xt

120GB HD

ASUS P4SD-LA Motherboard

Intel 865 Chipset

Realtek AC'97 sound card

what do you guys think? :(

Sounds like a driver problem. Have you updated your ATi drivers lately... or even rolled back? Also, you don't have a sound card... which might be the problem... not sure. Post your Ike.txt from GR here next time it crashes.

here's my specs:

Pentium 4 2.4ghz processor

1 GB DDR SDRAM

ATi Radeon 9600xt

120GB HD

ASUS P4SD-LA Motherboard

Intel 865 Chipset

Realtek AC'97 sound card

actually, i do have a sound card. but its onboard, so that may be a problem.

and yes, im current with my ATi drivers. i have the 4.4 drivers.

i think it might be that my AGP isn't working well or something to that effect. since the first step in my ATi installation manual is to install AGP drivers for non-intel chipsets. but i don't think thats the prob since i have an intel chipset and i used AIDA32 to check my motherboard and it says that AGP is enable so there should be no problem. but then again, the symptoms that the intel or ATi site showed(i can't remember which) that the comp will either hang or restart on its own when given something challenging to generate, graphics wise.

Sorry... you dont have a sound card that is in a PCI slot. The AC97 is crap.

oh ok. you were talking about a PCI sound card. i get ya. i thought you just might have overlooked my specs. and yeah, youre right, it is crap.

what sound card would you recommend?

You can get crashes playing 3D games if your video chip is not adequately cooled. Are you overclocking either your CPU or GPU? Check your temps on the video card (which is possible with the 9600XT). The stock fan on the Radeon cards are pretty wimpy and they use cheapo thermal paste.

If you have an old video card, replace the Radeon 9600XT with your older card and see if you still get the same probs.

A friend gave me his Radeon 7500 because of a similar problem. The cool thing was it was still under 3 yr warranty. I sent it back to ATI to get "fixed' and they sent me back a brand-new Radeon 7500 :D (i.e. they couldn't fix it).

Edited by CR6

it probably is the 9600xt b/c i never had these probs with my old card.

and about putting the old one back in... i can't do that since i already sold it. :unsure:

btw, my card's temp is around 45* C usually. is that too high?

Edited by ETMC_PRODIGY

You said you had an Nvidia card before you switched to the ATi right? Did you do a format when you installed the 9600? If not something tells me there are left-over parts of the Nvidia drivers on your machine causing conflicts. How to search for that stuff I have no idea...more knowledgeable folks should be able to expalin it better.

I would suggest you try downloading and running Driver Cleaner.

It says to uninstall your old drivers from the Control Panel, then run this. Hopefully you did uninstall your old nVidia driver from the CP, so try running this thing, and any nVidia remains found should be deleted.

Edit - Read the instructions on the web page. ;)

Edited by Crimson

Depends... what was the last driver version you used? As the name states, Det. RIP is used for the Detonator series of drivers, while nVidia has been releasing the ForceWare series lately.

ok. it seems that the Driver/Cab Cleaner thing has worked so far. thx for your help again guys. lets hope it lasts longer than the results of other fixes ive tried.

btw, when i cleaned my cabs, was i supposed to clean the one that said SP1.cab? if not, oops. :lol:

guys..... :(

i feel reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally stupid right now. :unsure:

here's what happened:

i was still having my comp problems and decided to take a look inside my PC to see if it was a RAM problem. while doing my search, i noticed the little tab that holds an AGP card in wasn't latched onto my card. so i pushed down my card and it clicks into place.

now guess what <_<

my computer works now. :wacko:

feel free to nominate me for the [idiot] of the year award.

Edited by ETMC_PRODIGY

That's the deal with computers. The smallest thing can mess up a good deal.

If it works, it works. I've personally been through three hard drives this year (long story), so knowledge is second place to hands-on.

Fingers crossed that you've resolved the issue.