Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Havok

Clearing RAM

anyone know how to clear RAM that is hung up ? i remember talking to a dell tech :lol: and he told me there was a way to do this...involving powering down and holding the power button or something...anyone know what i mean? my system is geting slower and slower with noyhing running and i just tried to play gr and it's choppy where i never had the problem b4.

I would think the RAM is cleared out every time you restart the computer. Do you mean the registry? That can get clogged up and slow down performance. Plus if you have a lot of programs running the background it slows the computer down. :)

You can use MSCONFIG to see what your PC loads each time it starts, and use it to shut off any offending programs.

A program called RAM Idle, is great. You can get it trial IIRC. I use it all the time. Nothing better guaranteed. ;) That will clear up ram on YOUR command whenever you freakin want to.

Edited by Stinger

Well, have you defragmented your HDD recently? RAM is usually "reset" every bootup. And close any open programs before you play GR, except your virus software. Try that.

Ram can't really be cleared by any available program while Windows is still running. Files paged to it via the kernel and other programs will still retain parts of it, despite what the 'memory meter' says.

Ram itself holds data only when current is supplied, or at least I think that's how it was explained. So just simply shutdown your pc, wait a second and boot it back up. Doing what Nightcrawler said is an excellent idea you should look into :)

Edited by RooK

Ram can't really be cleared by any available program while Windows is still running. Files paged to it via the kernel and other programs will still retain parts of it, despite what the 'memory meter' says.

Ram itself holds data only when current is supplied, or at least I think that's how it was explained. So just simply shutdown your pc, wait a second and boot it back up. Doing what Nightcrawler said is an excellent idea you should look into :)

It ain't all paged I thought hmm. It clears out some if it in an attempt defragging its use of other programs and sets a program to use less ram more efficiently. Ram Idle works I can prove it well I know there has to be a way but it does help. I free up lots before I go game and all, and at the least it always tells me if I am starting to run low.