Rigs

ghostie

I've just finished builiding my new rig. Took a while to fix up and I had to wait a while for some of the parts,but I'm proud of it since it's the second PC I've built and I hope to keep for a long time. Anyway here's the line-up

Thermaltake V2000A Xaser III Supertower ATX Case

Aerocool Aeropower II 550w UK PSU

ASUS SK8V Socket940 FX51 Motherboard

2 x Corsair TWINX 2Gb PC3200 (4Gb RAM Total)

AMD Athlon64 FX-51 (Socket 940) 64-bit CPU (O/C 2.5Ghz)

4x WD 74Gb Raptor SATA 10,000rpm HDD (RAID 0)

Samsung SD-616 DVD-ROM

Plextor Premium 52x/32x/52x CD-RW

Saphhire Radeon 9800XT Atlantis 256Mb

Creative SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS 7.1

Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1 Speakers

I'm using Asetek WaterChill Watercooler for the FX51 and the Radeon, and the 4 Raptors are in a CoolerMaster CoolDrive HDD Rack.

Cost me about £5,000 including new software and games to go with it and the monitor I'm using is a Ilyama ProLite E431S-S 17" TFT.

Edited by Hondo-911

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cost me about £5,000 including new software and games to go with it and the monitor I'm using is a Ilyama ProLite E431S-S 17" TFT.

that certainly is a sweet setup. that's over 9 g's USD. what are you going to use this system for?? 4gb of ram damn.

well now i'm curious what your benchmark scores are. please post your aquamark, futurmark, sandra, GAT and CAS settings.

I haven't benchmarked it yet, Just finished building it and installing the OS (Win XP). When I've installed all the updates and the games I normally play I might, but I'm not really a fan of benchmarking myself. I don't really care whether my PC is faster or slower than another gamer and what my 3D Mark 2001/2003 score is. As long as it does what I want it to and is reliable then that's good enough for me.

CPU: Intel P4 2.6 FSB800MHz

Motherboard: MSI 865PE Neo2-LS

Memory: 512 MB of Kingston DDR 3200

Video Card: MSI G4Ti4200-TD/128 (Nvidia Geforce4Ti)

Hard Drive: IBM DTLA-307060 60.0 GB @ 7200 RPMS

Monitor: MGC 17"

CDROM Manufacturer & Model: MSI 52X

CDR/CDRW Manufacturer & Model: MSI CR52-A2 Bulk

Sound Card: CREATIVE LAB Audigy 2

Speakers: Creative 5200 5.1

Internet Connection: Time Warner Road Runner Cable @ 2408 / 359

Operating System: windows xp professional

Hmmn... new parts, sorta new rig.

AMD Atholon 2400+ @ 2GHz

120GB Maxtor HD @ 7200RPM (New)

Epox EP-8RDA Mobo

768MB RAM @ ?? - I'll figure it out

ATI Radeon 9500Pro

SB Live! 5.1 - Running through 5.1 Speakers (with 3CD CD Player, AMFM Radio and 2 Tape decks. :) )

LiteOn 52x CD-RW

Walmart Special Floppy Drive

Coolmax 400W PSU (New)

D-Star Monitor 17"

Microsoft Intellimouse 5 button Mouse

Arabic/English Keyboard <-- l337

Charter Cable Internet... not sure on the speeds right now.

Running...

Linux Red Hat v9 (10G and 50G Partitions)

Windows XP (10G and 50G Partitions)

I think I got it all. :)

New RAM is due in today

Somewhere in Maryland, behind the smoke, someone is jealous.

:ph34r:

I'm sure it will, especially since it will put this new rig at 700+ MB of RAM. It currently only has 386... or there abouts.

shh dont mention the great ram debacle of 2004, just forget it ever happened and he has always ahd 768 of ddr400

I wish I could forget, but do you realize how much $$$$ is tied up in RAM right now? :o We still have the "old" stuff and just got the "new" stuff. I need to return the "old" stuff and wait for a refund. :wall:

2 x Corsair TWINX 2Gb PC3200 (4Gb RAM Total)

AMD Athlon64 FX-51 (Socket 940) 64-bit CPU (O/C 2.5Ghz)

Yo Hondo, that certainly is an amazing rig ... some of the best parts on the market right now.

Read great things about the SK8V mobo. Just curious what CPU temps are you getting at 2.5GHz with water cooling?

The only thing I might add: are you running your OS off the RAID? I've heard you can get better performance with WinXP booting on a non-RAID HD (you can use an IDE drive) and put your virtual cache and data on the RAID.

Ref: Ultimate RAID 0 Array setup :thumbsup:

http://www.hardwaretech.info/guides/configure_bench_raid.php

Edited by CR6

Shoebox with a cable modem attached too it

AMD 1700 1.4ghz

60 Gig HD

Mobo = Crap i dont even want to know what it is

256 ram

GF4 MX 420 64 MB PCI :wacko:

Trying to upgrade to atleast a new case / mobo / ram if i can then i can get another video card

• 6 months later...

A Fellow Hondo, Hello -911.

Anyway here's my gaming rig. It's not really that much, and I've been upgrading over the past 18 months with new parts and some old ones from my previous system, but here's my current specs.

Coolermaster Stacker Case with a side window + a blue cold cathode light by the window, a Matrix Orbital MX212 LCD display and a Akasa FX-03 fan controller.

ABIT IC7-MAX3 Motherboard

P4 3.4Ghz Extreme Edition CPU running at 3.4ghz

2Gb Corsair TwinX3200PRO DDR RAM

2 x WD 74GB Raptors (No Raid and in 2 Vantec Vortex HDD Coolers)

Plextor 12x4x DVD Rewriter

XFX Geforce 6800 Ultra Graphics Card

Soundblaster Audigy2 Platinum Pro Sound Card

Creative Gigaworks 7.1 THX speaker system

Iiyama ProLite E511S-B 20" LCD Monitor

I've got the CPU and the Chipset watercooled using the Danger Dan Maze 4 Ultimate Plus, and I'll probably upgrade the memory to Geil or Corsair PC3500 memory. I've just bought a Logitech MX1000 Laser Mouse and one of the Z-Board Crossfires to replace my old Logitech MX500 and Internet Navigator

It's not really the state-of-the-art but it keeps me happy.

:):)

Edited by S.W.A.T-Hondo

:)  :)

Not state-of-the-art but pretty close!! :thumbsup:

A couple questions for you if you don't mind:

1. Have you noticed much difference between running 2GB RAM vs. 1GB RAM? I've recently got 2GB (4x512MB Corsair TwinX non-pro) of RAM, but just running 1GB at a time the last few months to test each pair first. I will be running both pairs in the near future when I next crack open my case ...

2. How do you like the 10K Raptors, especially with regards to data transfer speeds, heat and noise? I was considering getting a pair, but since the recent articles about RAID 0 not being any better than non-RAID, I am now considering getting a pair of SATA 250GB HD's which may cost not a whole lot more, but have more capacity (never thought I could have half a terabyte in my system ;) ).

Machine specs in plain English:

MSI K7N2 Delta ILSR w/nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset

AMD AthlonXP 3000+ Barton Core @ 2.1 Ghz, NOT OC'd.

512MB Kingston Value RAM PC 3200 RAM 2.5 CAS running in Dual channel mode @400Mhz

Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB (NOT OC'd.)

Turbo Case X-SuperAlien with 6 Case fans, and 500Watt Power Supply

4 Hard Drives, 1 WD, 1 Quantum, and 2 Maxtors, equalling 500 GB. ! New Maxtor 250 GB, 7200 RPM, 8MB Cache.

CDRW

DVD Drive

LS120 120 MB Floppy Drive(Optical)

FDD 1.44MB

19"Samsung SyncMaster997DF CRT, .20mm DPI Monitor. (New) ! !

Drivers

DirectX 9.0b

Omega 2.5.36b drivers for ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

All latest drivers for nForce chipset and MSI board.

Cable 3.0Mb connection down, 384 up, Run through a Linksys BEFSR81 8 Port Router

Operating Systems Currently Running

XP Pro

Windows 2K Server

SuSE Linux 8.0 Pro

Loading up BSD and Sun Solaris

Edited by PhantmSniper

P4 1.8    512mb's Ram    Nvidia TNT2 64 Pro      :(      Still chugging along!

Still have the PC above but game playing is now taking place on this. :P P4 3.2 - Intel D875P Motherboard - Corsair 3200 XMS 1024MB - BFG FX5950 Ultra - Audigy 2 Soundcard - 19" Viewsonic P90f. :D

Asus A8V Deluxe

AMD64 3500+ OC@ 2.46ghz

ThermalTake Volcano12 Fan+Heatsinc

1GB Corsair PC3200 DDR400

PNY Geforce 6800GT

SoundBlaster Audigy2

two 40gb Western Digital Hard Drives 7200RPM

Generic Cheap PC case (looks good IMO)

380watt powersupply

DVD Rom, CDRom, CD-RW

FloppyDrive

Sony HMD A440 monitor (POS dying) need a new one.

Altec Lansing ATP3 2+1 Speakers

Radio Shack Speaker Switch

Altec Lansing Head Set

Microsoft Internet Keyboard

Logitech Mouse MX500

Logitech MOMO Steering Wheel

Logitech Cordless WingMan GamePad

Cyborg Evo Joystick

:)  :)

Not state-of-the-art but pretty close!! :thumbsup:

A couple questions for you if you don't mind:

1. Have you noticed much difference between running 2GB RAM vs. 1GB RAM? I've recently got 2GB (4x512MB Corsair TwinX non-pro) of RAM, but just running 1GB at a time the last few months to test each pair first. I will be running both pairs in the near future when I next crack open my case ...

2. How do you like the 10K Raptors, especially with regards to data transfer speeds, heat and noise? I was considering getting a pair, but since the recent articles about RAID 0 not being any better than non-RAID, I am now considering getting a pair of SATA 250GB HD's which may cost not a whole lot more, but have more capacity (never thought I could have half a terabyte in my system ;) ).

Hello there, CR6

1. Not really much in standard use, but with games like DOOM 3 and HL2 coming out where I want to run them in hi-res I decided probably more is better. I also do sometimes store and view hi-res images on the rig (which are quite big, 3200x2000 sometimes), instead of my Mac I find it useful. I also found that's it's faster in motherboards with 4 Ram slots, that it's faster to use just two slots inst ead of four. (2x1Gb instead of 4x512).

2. The Raptors are fine and are as smooth as silk for me. I was originally going to use a 36Gb Raptor as a system drive with a 160GB Seagate SATA HDD for games and mp3s, but because I'm using the rig mainly for gaming, I decided to go for speed. I don't really trust RAID when it comes to storage for just everyday use, and having read that article you mentioned, I'm glad I didn't.