Network Prob

Stinger

Okay about 10 minutes ago my computer stopped being able to connect to the internet. But the other 2 puters on the netowork can connect. My computer cannot be pinged with any results and cannot ping. My computer when it boots up is set to a lower resolution (no not safe mode). It has trouble opneing even the most miniscule prgrm. I tried to right click the desktop and it wouldn't load. Last Known good config doesn't work. When I click on my compuer, a little flaslight acts as if it is looking for crap but it finds nothing, and is after 5 minutes still is just looking. When I go to a shortcut I made I can get to my HDD. And all my other shortcuts work. Any ideas on what the heck happened?

Rgr that. Thanks god I got more than 1 puter. I tried to go back to a past system restore point and so far I get to desktop, and see my background. But I have seen no icons, Start bar or nothing else. I am gonna have to go to Safe Mode and do some work. This is the worst weekend for my PC ever. :(

Nothing new since I had to reinstall the crap load of stuff. I am getting socket errors when trying to ping stuff. In the processes tab, there is ussually System, Brett or Network Connection taking up a process. Now only 2 process at the most ever have names asscociated with them...######? Virus scan is halfway done, I will then run Scandisk. When this all happened my computer was completly idle. I just got on to check Instant Messenger and boom couldnn't connect or nothing. I can also try an even earlier System Restore point but this is the only time I have been able to start upi my machine and get into my acount and have icons and a start bar. I still get flashlight in my computer, but I can access all the drives C,D,E etc. I may be doing a format sooner than I hoped. :( Just in case, I go format C (HDD) then I put in XP cd, then it does the rest...right? I will also call and harass Microsoft's Network department tomorrow, sometimes they help me fix a crap load of problems. Thanks guys!

Hey Rook, maybe we need to tie him up so he can't mess with his PC to bad. ;)

Stinger, all your tweaking has most likely corrupted something from the sounds of things and not just one or two files, I'm talking about a whole bunch of them.

I would be looking at a reformat and resinstall. DirectX 8.1 is included on the XP installation disk. Sounds like some of the drivers for yoru modem/ethernet card are totally trashed now.

Okay. MY PROBS WILL NEVER CEASE! Now I can see in my computer fine as can be. But some of my dark green colored things are bleeding down a bit. I am gonna have to go to bed, I am too tired for all this. Virus Check, and Speed Disk (defragger) are gonna run overnight. I also just noticed an ip util I have when I start it then put my mouse over it in the taskbar area majigger it goes away like I closed it. I am gonna go cry myself to sleep :(

nm, the green that may just be a skin problem. I of course cant sleep till I found out what did this. I ran McAfee, and found a Virus called PWS-RedNeck. I tried to delete and couldn't so I found its main folder and trashed it. I am rescanning now while I sleep. It resided in C:\Program Files\Helper and was Help.exe I deleted the folder but I have no clue about Help cause McAfee couldnt delete or move and I couldnt see if it was read only cause I couldnt see anything in the folder. And no it was hidden :(. So I learn more tomrrow, I got school though soon so sleep is a must. I also have My Computer back and Names of users next to processes, it is like my system is being revived. Thanks again guys. :)

Okay after calling the actually helpful Microsoft Netwoking tech support peeps I got the net back. And I can access My Computer, but I have o wait till about 10 minutes after startup well 5 or 10 I dont member for sure, but I can access the C and F HDD's soon as I want. Is this normal? I think the gfx drivers are okay. I found out that virus is a keylogger, no idea how it got there and all (it is a Trojan though). I dont think it ever transmitted though. Also there is a folder that when i virus scan, it is called Ontrack which is a name of a prgrm I have's folder but the scaner show is under C:\Ontrack and not C:\Program Files\Ontrack where it is. The Ontrack file is not hidden and it has thousands of files. I have no idea where it is though. I cannot see it under C... :blink: I made a list and it wouldnt be too bad to format really. But I dont want to do it 2 times in 6 weeks. :( And about formatting, last time I installed on parents puter I dont think there was a format option. I may have missed it. But you sure I insert the CD, reboot puter and then XP will let me choose to format from their? Oh wel not like I cant format and format to my hearts desire though This has been a bad week. :(