I have a Job

Ruin

Okay. Obviously my idea of computers has changed drastically in several days. I'm exploring several options and one of which is building my own (which is apparently cheaper).

Anyway, using values I can get in store some one help me build my computer. Please? :) I have an idea as to what I want, but I'm not sure what mobo's to go with, what companies etc etc. So I need help.

With out further adue, this is what i'm looking for:

1.8+GHz Processor

60+ G HD

256M DIMM RAM

GeForce Ti 4200 64RAM Video Card

Sound Card

17" Monitor

Speakers

and if you can; leave $100 for Keyboard and mouse. :)

Oh, my budget is $850 - $950

What can ya cook up? :):hehe:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I found in PCGamer. The Mid Range System. (March 2003 pg. 114)

-Case: 300 watt ATX form factor

-Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2000+

-Motherboard: Asus A7V333 (award 1007)

-Memory: 512 MB PC-2700 DDR SDRAM

-CDROM/DVDROM: Pioneer 16x DVD ROM

-Floppy drive: regular

-Hard Drive: 80GB Maxtor 7200rpm ATA-133

-Sound Card: Creative SB Live! Audigy MP3+

-Modem: v.92 Hardware Modem

-Monitor: 19inch NEC FE991SB-BK

-Video Card: Geforce4 Ti 4200

-Speakers: Logitech Z-540(4.1)

TOTAL COST: Approx: $one grand$

:D Change a couple things around and you could be at your range. Use old parts or exchange for different ones. GL with it. :D

Edit: Cut the floppy drive and modem if you don't need it.

Edited by firefly2442

Okay. Obviously my idea of computers has changed drastically in several days. I'm exploring several options and one of which is building my own (which is apparently cheaper).

Anyway, using values I can get in store some one help me build my computer. Please? :) I have an idea as to what I want, but I'm not sure what mobo's to go with, what companies etc etc. So I need help.

With out further adue, this is what i'm looking for:

1.8+GHz Processor

60+ G HD

256M DIMM RAM

GeForce Ti 4200 64RAM Video Card

Sound Card

17" Monitor

Speakers

and if you can; leave $100 for Keyboard and mouse. :)

Oh, my budget is $850 - $950

What can ya cook up? :):hehe:

[Thing that should not be spoken of here IAW Forum Rule 3.7] or CD-RW or DVD? The kepyboard and mouse is a bit high IMHO but this is your system and you are the one thats gotta use it. Definitley go AMD for sure. Celeron is the only other CPU option and you want to stay away from cellys imo. You got a good PSU? You will need at least a 350 Watt PSU to run that config good. And you may as well tap the card up to 128MB so it will ast you longer. I have found mobo combos with AMD XP1800 for $100 and up. You gonna need a new case?

@Firefly, scratch the modem, 19" to 17" monitor, go with cheap speakers for now, and cut the RAM in half (I already have a 256 stick and a 64 stick at home) and I think we're talking. Also, how many RAM slots does that Mobo have? 2 would be ideal, but 2 is good... they MUST be DIMM!

Exactly what I'm looking for as far as assistance form you all goes..

@Stinger, I need a new everything. I'd be starting from ground-zero.

As for the Keyboard and mouse, the KeyB is $40 and the mouse is $60 (wireless 5 button). Not sure I need to go wireless, but I keep tripping (yes tripping) on my current cables. It sucks. lol, so I'd hate to break it like I've almost done before. Then again (as I've said before) I'm hoping to recieve these as a gift on March 1... hint hint. :lol:

My current system is about 5 years old. And I think it finally died today, my mobo is giving me heck so we're taking it to our ''in house techie" (my computer teacher, lol).

But this is my personl system.

@Firefly, scratch the modem, 19" to 17" monitor, go with cheap speakers for now, and cut the RAM in half (I already have a 256 stick and a 64 stick at home) and I think we're talking. Also, how many RAM slots does that Mobo have? 2 would be ideal, but 2 is good... they MUST be DIMM!

Exactly what I'm looking for as far as assistance form you all goes..

@Stinger, I need a new everything. I'd be starting from ground-zero.

As for the Keyboard and mouse, the KeyB is $40 and the mouse is $60 (wireless 5 button). Not sure I need to go wireless, but I keep tripping (yes tripping) on my current cables. It sucks. lol, so I'd hate to break it like I've almost done before. Then again (as I've said before) I'm hoping to recieve these as a gift on March 1... hint hint. :lol:

My current system is about 5 years old. And I think it finally died today, my mobo is giving me heck so we're taking it to our ''in house techie" (my computer teacher, lol).

But this is my personl system.

Well the CD stuff is gonna make it a lot more too. You want a burner? A DVD Drive? What speed for CD? Oh new everything...that doesnt include OS I hope...?

I found this mobo at newegg.com for $97

MSI Motherboard for AMD Athlon/AthlonXP/Duron processors (@ 100/133/166 FSB), Model# K7N2-L (MS-6570-010)

Specifications:

CPU Supported: AMD Athlon/AthlonXP/Duron processors (@ 100/133/166 FSB)

Chipset: nForce2 SPP, MCP2

FSB: 100/133/166(200/266/333)MHz

RAM: 3x 184-pin DDR DIMMs (PC3200/2700/2100/1600 DDR SDRAMs), supports both 64-bit and 128-bit DDR SDRAM

IDE: 2x channels, support Bus Master and Ultra DMA133/100/66 operating modes

Slots: 1x AGP (4X/8X), 5x 32-bit, 1x ACR

Port: 1x Serial, 1x Parallel, 1x RJ-45, 4x USB (rear)

Onboard LAN: Chipset integrated 10/100 Base-T Ethernet/Fast Ethernet

ATX Form Factor Model#: K7N2-L Special FedEx Saver Shipping $5.00

Wow, that's perfect Stinger. :) Very very cool. Let's hope it's $97 at the store.

As for CD-ROM I want a CD-Burner that can read DVDs. Speed, fairly fast, but not uber fast. :) A fairly decent one for cheap. One that will last me at least a year.

Oh yeah, I don't suppose that Mobo come's with a processor eh? It'd be nice to find one like that with a processor already on it... so I don't mess it up.

My list in your thread on getting a new pc stands. Any decent mb will come with good onboard sound and some even come with 6 channel onboard!

You can cut out things as needed that I list, plus you can go to a 1800xp (I listed the 2000xp) and save around $30.

I hate to say it I really hate to man but you gotta shop online to get a "gaming" pc. Any chance you buy a prefab dum dum dum yeah I know and your parents let you upgrade it? The OS is $150 UNLESS you shop on ebay and you an get it their for $99 plus shipping. To get this PC you are gonna have to go online cause at the store it will cost a lot more. And they have less than a fourth of the stuff online retailers do. :(

Was talking with Stinger and just remembered... Do your parents allow you to use checks and order through the mail? If so, you might want to still give Newegg.com a go. :)

Also, check resellerratings.com (and show to parents). Newegg is considered one of the best, if not the #1 online PC component site. They have great RMA policies and ships orders the same day. I live half way across the US from them (not far from you, in KY) and they got a PS to me in 2 days with their basic 'Fedex Saver' shipping!

Thanks for all of the help guys... mail order may work. We'll see. And I've tried the "but people order there all the time and never get screwed!" arguement. And he shoots back with the "people get screwed all of the time!" arguement.

But we'll see what happens.

lol i know that arguement i too have tried to do something like this but it didnt work :( i even gave ill pay for it speech lol <_< i dont know why i just put that smily in i just love that lil look <_<<_<<_<:P:hehe::P:hehe::hehe: double barrel roll :huh::o:( me throwing up from double barrel roll

:stupid:

Edited by TeXaN

No speech ncessary... they already know I want to pay for it. So I can keep my lil sis off of it! :) No more fights :hehe! lol.

Wow... newegg.com is incredible. :) A lot cheaper than buying retail.

I priced what I'm looking for at around $900. Pretty cool. :) More details soon.

Specs for current computer:

Case: Raidmax Model 268WBP(BLACK/SILVER) 10-bay Case Retail $27

Motherboard: Asus VIA A7V333 KT333 Chipset ATX Motherboard Retail Boxed $94

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2200+/266 FSB Processor CPU - Retail Box $170

RAM: SimpleTech (Simple Technologies) 256MB DDR PC2100- OEM $42

Hard Drive: Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM Hard Drive 8MB $110

Floppy Drive: Generic $8

CD/DVD ROM: Still deciding Max: $75

Video Card: ASUS V9280TD Geforce4 Ti4200 128MB 128 bit AGP 8X TV-OUT & DVI RETAIL $150

Speakers: Creative Labs Inspire 5.1 5200 - RETAIL $73

Total: $749

Lacking:

Keyboard, Mouse, and Power Supply

I already have 256M here that I can use. Along with a 64M stick too (that's why I want 3 slots). Over time, I'll replace the 64M with 256M or 512M... so to cut down on costs and get a better system, I'll kick the System Memory down some.