Ghost Recon.net Forums
Sign in to follow this  
warhawk

Winston Churchill

In taking part in a few other threads on different posts concerning the potential of the up coming conflict with Iraq, I thought it might be time to remember what history teaches about such things.

Several people I have talked to, including those that do not participate on this forum, seem to think that with Saddam we should give him yet one more chance. When I hear this I am struck by the simularities between the Pre-World War II era and September 1939. Prior to the full outbreak of World War II the attitude was appeasement. The world thought that they should give into Hitler, the maniac from Austria himself, rather than risk war. It took the will and the nerve of Winston Churchill to say enough is enough.

Churchill knew that like any other bully as long as you give into demands of a tyrannical dictator the demands will keep coming. Saddam is even now making demands of the UN to guarntee his supposed full co-operation. With such demands as "lift the sanctions then we can talk about full co-operation." I can only imagine the gymnastic performances Sir Winston Churchill is performing in his grave. If he would have been alive 1991 and Prime Minister of England we wouldn't be having this discussion right now. He would have looked to the US for help and he would have removed Saddam from power. When his goal was to stop Hitler it wasn't just to push German troops back across into Germany and out of such places as the Rhineland, France, Poland, Austria/Hungry and so on. He knew then that the only way to ensure the peace was to remove Hitler from power by utterly defeating him.

With Saddam the goal should be the same. What's that you ask? What about those that replace him? It's simple, give the Iraqi people the choice of more than one person on a ballet and you will find that with freedom the people of Iraq will make the choice for peace. Any government that replaces Saddam will only have to look to thier recent past to see what will be accepted by the world and what won't. Ask yourself this. When was the last time Germany started a war since the end of World War II?

I am not saying that in this situation that war is the only solution but the world has tried everything else. To say that diplomacy hasn't been given enough of a chance I think is a mistake. Diplomacy hasn't worked for over 12 years. We owe a lot to former world leaders like Winston Churchill who have stood up to oppression and bullies and said "NO MORE".

Winston Churchill said something a long time ago about the Battle of Britian. In these few simple words he tried to sum up the gratitude of Britian to it's air force. But I think it means more than that. It is what is in my mind when I thank a veteran for his or her sacriface to ensure my freedom. The quote is as follows and if I have any part of it wrong please correct me. As you read this quote please remember that the very freedoms that we enjoy today were secured with the blood of many brave men and women who gave thier lives for what they believed in.

"Never before in the annuals of human history has so much been owed by so many to so few"

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

Edited by warhawk

I cant realy add anything to your post WarHawk , excelent post very well put echos my feelings exactly, i hope that Bush and Blair will stick to their guns on this and no i dont want bloodshed , i dont want to see pictures of dead civvies or squaddies.

Id just like to see ppl live a tyrany free life

@snakebite1967 No one who loves freedom ever really wants bloodshed but as I am sure you understand sometimes it is necessary. It's unfortunate too but all to often those who impose tyranny only understand bloodshed. I think this is something that wasn't even lost on the honourable Sir Winston Churchill. Like you I don't really want to see the pics of dead civies or any of my bothers and sisters in arms (whether Americian, British, or anyone else in uniform), but if it comes to that then it's on Saddam's head.

It is always with great trepadation that I talk about war. To understand the basic fundamental principle of freedom however is to understand that one day it may be threatened. And when it is threatened we as a people must stand up and say without hesistation STOP! Like many that went before me I believe that at the end of the day freedom and liberty are ideas worth fighting for. Freedom and Liberty are more than just words. They should be a way of life for all. Never to be taken for granted and most importantly never abused.

Stout Hearts

Warhawk

ya i agree freedom comes at a cost whatever that cost might be, its nice to avoid conflict but i dont think we can afford to stand by and watch as tyranny has its merry way, you cant turn a blind eye the whole point of nato ( i believe anyways) is to protect innocent ppl from harm.