Ghost Recon.net Forums
Rocky

Rocky's new photo gallery

Rumor has it he can't cook...its not proven yet though. :ph34r:

It is true, I cannot lie.

I can make soup (or rather open a tin and heat it up), but beyond that, I am hopeless.

Happy now? :wall:

You've been holding out on me Rocky...I hadn't seen the latest...I'll send you mine from the different places I've been on my "trip"...see if you can work some magic...heh heh.

I did actually send you that gallery, must have been one of the e-mails that never got through :(

Its confirmed...cooking...is something Rocky cannot do.

@Rocky - I got a link...but the site looked different...I had seen most of the family pics...not the nature ones.

@Rocky - I got a link...but the site looked different...I had seen most of the family pics...not the nature ones.

Ah yeh, it was updated with the new images over a period of days.

I need a decent digital camera. I just waited a whole week for some slides to come back from the lab and I'm getting bored of the waiting. Okay I have a 40x32 print on my wall from one of them, but I still want to be able to get some "snaps" quicker.

I've got about £500-£600 to spend and decent close up/macro is important.

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ideas.

If I was buying right now (and had that much to spend), this would be my choice:

Sony DSC-V1.

*Drool*

Advantages:

• 5.0 Megapixels
  • Carl Zeiss lens (!!!)
  • 4x lens zoom, 4x digital zoom (and Sony digital zoom is usually quite effective)
  • Takes up to 2592 * 1944
  • Reasonable price at £550
  • All the usual features and gadgets

But definitely look around a bit, you might find something a lot better (I haven't really had a proper look in a few months).

DPReview.com is a great site for reviews (thanks to Rocky for introducing me to it).

You maybe be looking at Digital, but you can go with an SLR camera (more bang for your buck) and can either scan or have them scanned professionally. That's what I'm doing (just make sure the glass on the scanner is cleaned). Also, here at least, places like Wal-Mart will print your pictures, burn them on to a Cd etc etc. So when I get some really good photos I can have them enlarged and reprinted, or I can edit them in photoshop and then print those. :D

Just tossing around ideas.

Also, SLR cameras have different settings; shudder speed etc etc allowing you to be more "creative". You can also get better zooms (28mm to 300mm) and change hte picture style. I personally prefer the SLR cameras. :D

EDIT:

For example, here's what I'm getting: [link]

I think Magnum already uses SLRs and is currently looking for something a bit faster and less demanding (as far as development is concerned).

Personally, I have my SLR for artistic work (which I develop the prints for myself) and my digital camera for... other stuff - website images, modding reference images and so on.

Edit - as far as exposure speeds, focal lenghts, zoom lenses, etc. are concerned - a top quality digital camera will give you all these options and countless more (but usually at a far higher price).

Second Edit - About SLRs being "more bang for your buck" this isn't really true. On the surface while the cameras themselves tend to be a fair bit cheaper, you are continually having to buy film, paper and photo-chemicals (if you develop yourself) without the ability to discard shots you don't like.

You maybe be looking at Digital, but you can go with an SLR camera (more bang for your buck) and can either scan or have them scanned professionally.

Scanning is going to result in a loss of quality, and spending over £500 I am guessing KP is looking for alot of quality.

The DPReview site Pyro linked to is a good start for finding the right camera. I suggest spending sometime reading the forums there before deciding, and read their very detailed reviews.

With a budget of £500 you are going to get some amazing photos.

I have a Fuji and it's great, you can see what sort of quality to expect from the hundreds of fuji snaps at http://www.fujimugs.com

Yeah, I've already got an SLR (although that could probably do with an upgrade at some point, and thats a whole new thread), and I currently scan all my slides, which takes hours. (I hate those photo cds because they seem to Autolevel every bloody slide and because alot of my stuff is "alternative" it usually messes it up). I never seem to have a huge amount of trouble with quality from them, because most are printed less than 10x8 (for now anyway). Plus my printer lets it down a bit. Anyone recommend a good place to send of digital photos to get them printed?

I'm just looking for a good camera, with a high amount of control without the wait and bother of sending them all of to be developed. My "commisions" (lol) will still be done with slides (last one was in a ham smoke house. I have never looked at a pig in the same way again).

Anyway, thanks for the help, I'm off to do some reading.

(On a slight aside, Canon are bringing out the first ever sub £1000 digital SLR very soon. And I can't believe the Sony DSC-V1 has a Carl Zeiss lens. Bonkers.)

Geez! 5 megapixels! That's huge. I have 2.1 and at a top resolution of 1600 x 1200 the pictures look great. Good enough for me. :)

Anyone recommend a good place to send of digital photos to get them printed?

http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/

That's who I use. Fantastic prints, I've had 8x10's printed on their Fuji paper from my 3.1 megapixel, and they are awesome. Service is just great too - expect your prints to arrive the next day if you order in the morning, or within 48 hours if you order them at night. Packaging is good too.

And I forgot to say they are always running great offers... like this

20 FREE digital prints with every camera purchased

60 FREE digital prints with all orders over £500

Anyone recommend a good place to send of digital photos to get them printed?

http://icd.internetphotoservices.co.uk/

That's who I use. Fantastic prints, I've had 8x10's printed on their Fuji paper from my 3.1 megapixel, and they are awesome. Service is just great too - expect your prints to arrive the next day if you order in the morning, or within 48 hours if you order them at night. Packaging is good too.

Cheers Rocky, thats a great site, and some very good prices.

Just one thing:

I have to upload my photos, they then d/l it, print em, and send them to me.

That's too easy surely?!

Just one thing:

I have to upload my photos, they then d/l it, print em, and send them to me.

That's too easy surely?!

It's easier :yes:

You upload them and have the option of making an album and sharing them. Your family or friends can then log on and order prints for themselves. Or if you don't want to keep the pictures online at all, select the Temp Folder, and they will delete the images in that folder after 30 days.

You then go through each image and drop down a long menu which you can select quantity, what print size, and print finish you want for each individual image.

They then show you if any images will need cropping to fit the size you select. You get the option to crop, or have white space on the print.

Then it's off to the checkout where the total cost is displayed.

After that I can only assume it is a fully automated process up until they manually place your prints into your envelope - because it all happens very fast. Great stuff.